Options

Dumb Question re connectors

BobbyZ_UKBobbyZ_UK Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
If a question asks how many pins are there on a xxxxxx connector, is it referring to the connector on the end of the cable or the connector on the back of the PC

Believe it or not, I keep getting caught out on this

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    My teachers always said there aren't any dumb questions, just dumb answers... ;)

If there are pins on one side... there are as many holes on the other side (not always the case in reall life, but for CompTIA that'll do.) So there is only one side with pins :)
  • Options
    cap2361cap2361 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    correct me if I am wrong. I ran across some good info on connectors from a study guide recommended by this site. Usually any questions regarding connectors will be from the computer side unless the question specifies otherwise. two other good tips are these:

1. shut down your pc and inspect your cables. visuals are always good!

2. Most connectors on the pc side are male except for the vga connector, usb, dins, and firewire

3. Understanding the difference between parallel and serial will be a really big help
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Looks like some excellent tips. I was just trying to make the point that, "If a question asks how many pins are there on a xxxxxx connector" it doesn't matter which side the connector is on. e.g. the amount of pins for a VGA connector is 15... if there are 15 pins on one side there are 15 holes on the other side, but the answer is still 15.
    Usually any questions regarding connectors will be from the computer side unless the question specifies otherwise.
    Correct, its the port where you connect to. For example, when we talk about a VGA connector, we are referring to the one on the vid card, not the one on the cable. Actually the word 'port' should be used instead, but this is not always done... just to try and trick you icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Serial connectors on your PC are male. The others will be female on PC side.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.