On my way to 2 second interviews.

eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am on my way to have a second interview at a web hosting company, the position is Technical Support level 1. 2 hours after that interview I have a face to face interview with another company which interviewed me over the phone last week. I have never been to a second interview, the first company is aware that later on today I have another interview. How does this work, will there be a third interview if all goes well or will they expect me to say "yes" or "no" on the spot? Both positions are Tech Support Level 1 except one of the companies is 20 minutes away, and the first company is about 1 1/2 hours away by public transit. Also how does one end a second interview, I am awekward with goodbyes, since the first company knows about my other interviews, what should be my good bye sentence like or what should I expect?

The interview is in 1hour (11:45 am est)

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Ask for business cards, what is the next step, shake hands and smile.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the fast reply scaredoftests.
    Interview got cancelled after me waiting in the waiting room for 30 minutes, apparently the boss couldn't make it (some sort of emergency). They did not want to keep me there because they did not know when the boss will arrive and were aware of my other 2pm interview. Just my luck.
    Booicon_cry.gif
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read the title as "An interview that takes two seconds to complete" and was very intrigued lol
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    aderon wrote: »
    I read the title as "An interview that takes two seconds to complete" and was very intrigued lol

Ditto that, my idea of a two second interview is, "You're hired!"
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    That would be my dream come true!
    Lol aderon I like your interpretation, I knew the title would cause some confusion. So I made it to the second interview place and instantly fell in love with it, I have never set foot in a place as nice as it was! That was one of the most impressive interviews I have ever attended, from their side that is, not so sure how I did on my end but I know I gave it my best! Man there were some great questions in there, the questions were broad and covered many topics. I wish I could have prepared better for it, but for my first ever technical interview, which lasted almost 2 hours, I think I did alright, I hope!
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey man congrats on the interview. It seems like it was a good experience either way! Let us know how the follow-up goes.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    Thank you, I will let you know.
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they "grilled" you for 2 hours, then in my opinion you've got pretty good chance. If you didn't make an impression, you'd be out of there in 30 min.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Damn, 2 hours! Don't think I've ever been on one that long. Good luck!!

Also, if you haven't done it already, I like to send a follow up email after interviews thanking them for taking the time to interview you and letting them know how much you like the company. Also, include qualities in you where you could help the company (based of information you learned about them in the interview), maybe telling them reason why you believe you would be a good fit there as well.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Typically when I am done with the interview I usually say something like, "I really appreciate your time, and thank you for letting me interview for this opportunity." Something along those lines.

@networknewb: I have interviewed at both Amazon and Microsoft. Both of those final round interviews were all day events. MS was like 6 hours of interviews and Amazon was about 5 hours. They both REALLY grill you pretty hard. Ended up turning both down.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on having 2 followup interviews. Hopefully one of them will work out. Sounds like you have some good options.
    Thanks guys! I did send them a thank you email today. Business writing is no my forte so I spent quite a bit of time on making sure it was good. To be honest it was not two hours, it felt like it but it was actually a solid 1 and 1/2 hours including written tests that took me about 45 minutes to finish. I still think that this place is way too nice for me, its out my league and I can't help but to feel this way. This job opportunity feels a bit like that girl who you know is just way too hot for you, so you just never even bother approaching her because she has always denied you. For now I can only, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
  • kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Typically when I am done with the interview I usually say something like, "I really appreciate your time, and thank you for letting me interview for this opportunity." Something along those lines.

Hah, I always say, "So, when do I start?"

Learned that trick from an old timer a few jobs ago. Usually gives the interviewer a laugh and relieves my tension at the same time as projecting confidence.

It has worked every Face2Face interview so far. *crosses fingers* Getting a 2nd interview from the initial phone interview is the hardest part.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Back on the horse!
    I am worried, going into this I had a letter of recommendation written by my teacher and everything. I am seriously worried.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone gets rejected at some point. Don't dwell. Chin up and keep sending out resumes.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I have been rejected nearly 20 times now in the last 6 months. Every rejection just makes me refine my processes more and more and continue to educate myself and progress. I just think of it like this - when you finally DO get it then it will be that much more exciting.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    I was so depressed about this rejection that it affected yet another interview I just had 1 hour ago. I did not even last 15 minutes with them. Thanks for the support though everyone. I shall dust myself off and try harder next time.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kenrin wrote: »
    Hah, I always say, "So, when do I start?"

Learned that trick from an old timer a few jobs ago. Usually gives the interviewer a laugh and relieves my tension at the same time as projecting confidence.

LOL, love that. I'm probably going to use that whenever I go on an interview in the future.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hear. Ultimately, it's a numbers game, there will be something out there for you.
    bpenn wrote: »
    I have been rejected nearly 20 times now in the last 6 months. Every rejection just makes me refine my processes more and more and continue to educate myself and progress. I just think of it like this - when you finally DO get it then it will be that much more exciting.

Yeah but I bet you its not Level 1 Tech Support Jobs that you are being rejected from like me.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about the rejections. Seriously. It's the same with everything: dating, searching for a job and learning to walk all have basically the same process. Continue making attempts, learning what works and what doesn't and continue to refine your process. It doesn't really matter how many "no"s you get. You'll have forgotten them all once you get the "yes" that you've been looking for, and you'll only get stronger from there!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever