Options

Post phone interview woes, need some input

thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Alright about 2 weeks ago an SOC called me and I did a phone interview with them. I smashed the 40 minute technical phone interview, only question I couldn't answer was an SQL question. After the interview he said it went very well and he was surprised I knew so much given my resume (no prior experience in the field), asked how I obtained my 2 certifications and I told him it was all self study after work everyday.

Later that day he called me back and told me he'd like to schedule a face to face interview, asked how short a notice I would need to be able to make time for a face to face, told him 1 day. He said great and he'd let me know and if the interview didn't happen the following week I'd likely end up waiting 2-3 weeks as there were only 2 people available to interview me and they both had taken on big projects. I told him that's no problem, let me know.

That was the last I heard of him. It's been 2 weeks since we spoke. Last week I left him a voicemail to just touch base and he never responded.

I'm not sitting around waiting for this job or anything but it's pretty much the only job that's contacted me after sending out over 100 resumes. Not having closure is really bugging me, I find myself zoning out at work lol.

I'm really playing around with the idea of calling him a second time.

Wanted some professional and veteran experience with my situation, any tips, etc would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wiz
Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Don't sit around, move on. Don't phone him again, BUT send him an email to 'touch base'. Then, move on.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Don't sit around, move on. Don't phone him again, BUT send him an email to 'touch base'. Then, move on.

I actually do not have his email. What would you recommend in that case? Just move forward?
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
  • Options
    Yes, move forward. You already left a message. I know it is hard to do that. Distract yourself by submitting more resumes.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    thewiz8807 wrote: »
    I actually do not have his email. What would you recommend in that case? Just move forward?
    I think I would move on, if he calls, he calls, if not no big. Crap happens all the time where stuff legitimately takes an eternity to get back around to something, but if he cares he will make a point to get in touch with you. Don't get too hung up on it, sometimes that is their way of "letting you down easy".
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i would definitely assume it's dead in the water, but I would think one more follow up call wouldn't hurt anything. If it's dead already it's dead, one more call doesn't make it more dead
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What's that saying the squeaky wheel get's the oil? I'd at least give one more call or email. What do you got to lose at this point? A phone call isn't going to change someone's mind if they like you. If not, move on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I called him after work. He picked up, I was a little surprised he picked up so I paused for a second then said "Hey it's thewiz8807, we spoke two weeks ago about a possible SOC position. Wanted to touch base with you and make sure neither of us missed each others' calls, see if there are any updates about the position and that face to face interview you mentioned previously."

He told me he's basically waiting on a person to get back from vacation sometime next week and that he'd give me a call with a date and time, also mentioned that if I don't hear from him past the 10th to phone him again to refresh his memory.
  • Options
    Glad I got some closure. A chance at a face to face is looking a little more promising. Super excited but I don't want to get my hopes too high up there for them to come crashing down on me if things go south.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There you go. Never know unless you try.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you know his name, and you both have Linkedin accounts, I would recommend sending a connection request to him. That way, he remembers you but you don't seem too "needy". Just a thought.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I should probably create a Linkedin account lol...
  • Options
    good for you. I hate the 'refresh his memory'. His job is to remember.
  • Options
    eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys speaking of Linkedin, is it ever a good idea to connect with the HR person that has already interviewed you recently, but you have not yet been hired and are just waiting for their response?
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    eugene_86 wrote: »
    Hey guys speaking of Linkedin, is it ever a good idea to connect with the HR person that has already interviewed you recently, but you have not yet been hired and are just waiting for their response?

My experience with HR people via linkedin is generally bad. Most of them are pretentious or uninterested. Very seldom you run into a nice one. If you do connect, just send a nice thank you and keep it simple.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experience with HR people via linkedin is generally bad. Most of them are pretentious or uninterested. Very seldom you run into a nice one. If you do connect, just send a nice thank you and keep it simple.
    I have had the opposite. People contact me on LinkedIn often and I have had a few interviews through them. I have been employed by the same company for the past 14 years but I am always keeping my eyes open for the next opportunity.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i actually figured I had my current job when after the interview I got LinkedIn requests from the people i met with, including my current (then future) boss
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    is it ever a good idea to connect with the HR person that has already interviewed you recently
    I do not recommend it. It's a bit odd thing to do unless the request came from the person that interviewed you. But that's just my own perspective because I'm very picky about who I would accept a LinkedIn invite. And I generally do not send out an invite request unless it's someone that I genuinely want to network with...
  • Options
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion paul78, I knew it would have been a bad idea in my case.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110

you can ask him why he hasn't responded yet. my experiences with most recruiters is that most of them are flaky. occasionally, you will meet a good one, but overall, most are not good.
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the world of IT Recruiters. They call, interview you, say you did well and will send your resume to the hiring manager. They get your hopes up and you probably wont hear from them again. Just keep on applying and sending out resumes, eventually someone will contact you with a legit offer.
  • Options
    Interview is Thursday. Going to be a panel.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Glad you got the interview - good luck!
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My view is they are really busy.
    With a panel interview it took time to coordinate everyone's schedule.
    Go in, be yourself, honest, show enthusiasm.
    Have some examples and stories you can tell about problems you have ran across and how you solved them.
    Did it take team work to solve a problem?
    Find out a little bit about business if you can.
  • Options
    Interview went pretty well, consisted of a questionnaire then a roleplay scenario, then a written scenario and a 48 question quiz.

Did pretty good, overall the interview lasted 3 hours.

They told me it lasted longer than usual which is a good sign and for now they're going to finish up the other applicants and hire those who score the best. Said it will be about a month.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its through LinkedIn that I met an I.T. Guy who is Now my boss so LinkedIn is Great Opportunity to Meet different People in the I.T. Field.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□