Question about starting a IT career

ITNewbie2ITNewbie2 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I was hoping if someone can help me answer some very fundamental questions about starting a career in IT. I have found this site through my IT studies and thinks it's a wonderful resource for knowledge and opinions.

I'm a newbie to the IT world in general. Recently, I have obtained my CCNA and Comptia Network+ certifications. From reading many posts here, I'm what you would call a paper warrior at this point, due to my lack of experience through a job.

I am also working on my Security+ certification, with voucher already purchased, and the exam scheduled within a few weeks.

Since I have never held a job in the IT world, I don't really know what's a considered as a good starting position? Is it help desk? or is it NOC? or a support position working for a ISP? Perhaps Telephony companies like Verizon? Or should I stick to the practical rule of taking whatever I can get?

Should I invest time to get MCSA certified? Many job postings seems to suggest employers want either skills or certifications from both the Networking and Window servers worlds. I enjoy networking a lot during my studies. I don't know much about Window servers, but felt like it's a requirement to get in the door, am I incorrect?

I know hard working and strong ethics will almost carry you anywhere you want to go, but I just wonder where to start? Hope you'd understand.

Thanks,

CJ

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first questions I would ask you are what areas do you want to specialize in be it networking, systems, programming, etc. Then you can start your journey and path which includes relevant certifications that will help you reach your goals. It seems like networking is what your intrigued by which in that case I would look for opportunities as a NOC. If it's in systems I would recommend starting at the help desk/desktop support to gain experience, build your soft skills, and gaining certifications to better align yourself in the future.

The MCSA/MCSE would be helpful if systems administration is what you are looking to move into within IT. I would recommend also doing volunteer work to help build your resume and increase your visibility. There are most likely opportunities at your local libraries, churches, and schools. Contract work can also be an option early on in your career to build your experience. It puts you into many different types of environments and increases your skills interfacing with people of many different diversities. I hope this helps. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ITNewbie2ITNewbie2 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dakinggamer, Thank you for the great advise. I too am thinking about volunteering/intern type opportunities, as I feel going straight for jobs feels a bit empty at the moment, because all I have to show for are a couple pieces of certifications. I feel the above said opportunities would help bridge that gap.
    Feel free to PM me or message me and I will help in anyway I can. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Feel free to PM me or message me and I will help in anyway I can. ;)

I am unable to PM you as I am a new member, but I have started a new thread with regards to questions on the timing to get Microsoft server certification. Would appreciate your input on this, if you have any. Thanks.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/114821-thinking-about-microsoft-server-cert-but-should-i-wait.html

If for some reason you cannot get to the link pasted above, remove this portion from the beginning of the URL in your browser.
    http://www.techexams.net/!114821!

I don't know why this is there, but when I try to click on the link myself it has this portion that shouldn't be in the URL and was giving a page not found error. After you remove this portion, my thread shows up.
    Awesome I will take a look and provide some feedback which I hope helps you. ;)

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I posted this on how to get IT Experience: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/112381-how-get-experience.html

If you try to do some pro bono work and have those certs, you really shouldn't have any issues getting a job. If you want to get into networking then start trying to apply to NOC environments, if not help desk or desktop support is a good route (well that's always a good route to get your foot in the door).
    Awesome I will take a look and provide some feedback which I hope helps you. ;)

Thank you. I saw your reply over at the server thread. Much appreciated. Will probably start with CBT nuggets first, as I know they are not too expensive.
    markulous wrote: »
    I posted this on how to get IT Experience: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/112381-how-get-experience.html

If you try to do some pro bono work and have those certs, you really shouldn't have any issues getting a job. If you want to get into networking then start trying to apply to NOC environments, if not help desk or desktop support is a good route (well that's always a good route to get your foot in the door).

Thank you. Yes, that's the plan as well. I got at least 4-5 months before I need to go back to job searching, so I think this would be a good time to volunteer. There's a organization local in Los Angeles called Human I.T. who partners with the city of Los Angeles to re-purpose used PC's and gives them away to low income families. They are always looking for volunteers. I will probably start there. I think I need some level 1 support experience before I go out there to look for networking jobs.