Options

Career after IT Helpdesk

DeepaDDeepaD Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am a BSc. IT graduate and have completed training of CCNA and MCSA but the certification is still pending.

I have started my career as a Technical Helpdesk and after 10 months, I left that job and started my post as Tech Support Exec.

However, I am not satisfied with this profession. I really want to do well in a technical field.

Guys, please suggest some good opportunity/career to go further.

Regards,
Deepa

Comments

• Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your post is very vague. What is it that you are not satisfied with currently? Is there a position that you're more interested in?

I think the best way to move up in any career are:

- Spend time learning outside of work (even an hour a day makes a HUGE difference). This is not, and should not be, limited to certifications. If you want to be a SysAdmin, then do you have 10-15 servers that you're managing at home for fun/learning? This is certainly something great to talk about on an interview.

- Find excuses to perform work that is outside the scope of your current position. For instance, when I was on Help Desk, I took over our Windows imaging system because nobody was handling it. Think outside of the box for way to develop skills that other Help Desk personnel don't have.

- Show a genuine interest in learning from others. Ask if you can shadow them on your lunch break, or after hours if they work late.

- Go out to lunch with people outside of your team once in a while. You will likely get a new perspective and it is great for future networking.

- Hit the local IT groups in your area. There are plenty of interests groups for programming languages, operating systems, security, etc. Another great networking tool.