Question with specialization

missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
My question is when did you or when should you choose to begin specializing or narrowing down what exactly you want to do in IT? I've worked in Tech Support since beginning in IT 5 years ago. I haven't had the same job title for 5 years but I've worked mainly tech support on a helpdesk or deskside work. I actually took a role thinking it was Networking and it was still more deskside work. I don't dislike doing deskside work but should if I want to grow in IT knowledge should I pick a path to go down?

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    missjanaya wrote: »
    ... when should you choose to begin specializing or narrowing down what exactly you want to do in IT?
    Only you can answer that question and because only you can decide what you may want to specialize in. The short answer is you can begin to specialize when you know what you want to specialize in.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A: Any time after you've been at your first IT job for 1-2 years or not at all, some people remain JOATs their entire career
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    There aren't always magical opportunities to specialize either.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    You should specialize when you realize what you want to do and what you enjoy doing while gaining experience at the same time.

My case was when I worked at a MSP getting paid terribly and did literally everything. But one of those things, networking, made me happy because it was like doing logic and puzzles all day long. So I specialized in it.