CCENT what should I do to get it?

missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
What way should I go about studying for the test? What ways have been successful for you. I am starting with CCENT and wondering about what I should do after registering for the test and having access to CBT Nuggets. I am coming from a Desktop Tech role and have limited network experience. I do have MTA Networking. Please suggest books or virtual labs. I don't have much money but I do have 2 hours a day and about 6 months experience on a NOC.

Comments

• OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets and odom's book along with packet tracer worked for me. I'd recommend a TCP/IP book too if you have the money
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My method for studying anything is always the same:

1. Find best rated book on Amazon for the subject
    2. Read book all the way through, understanding whatever I can, but not getting too caught up if something isn't making sense.
    3. Reread book again while taking detailed notes. This should be a bit quicker than the first time around because you already understand a majority of the topics and you're mostly skimming for important things to write detailed notes about.
    4. You'll probably have 30 pages of notes by this point. Study them until you can recite them from memory.
    5. Create Quizlets (quizlet.com) for things that are just rote memorization (port numbers, adjacency requirements, etc)
    6. Study Quizlets until you can go through them about 10 times in a row without getting anything incorrect.
    7. Lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab, lab....
    8. Take practice exams until you can routinely score 90% or above.
    9. Go pass the certification.

This has only failed me once out of 13 certification exam attempts.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,070 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't read any books.
    Instead, i did Danscourses on youtube (all hands-on packet tracer).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...E07ECCA73C0755
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5B070715AA1FE9

Studied 30 minutes of lectures per day (and another 20-25 minutes of labbing).
    I rewatched any topics that were a bit more difficult.

It took me 9 weeks from Start to Pass (and i'm NO genius).
  • LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets for a general overview
    Odom's book for a desk reference
    Boson Practice Exams (most helpful resource for me, I think)

Also, I've been applying to jobs lately and a lot of them ask if I have a CCNA, but I've yet to see one ask about CCENT, which is a shame since the new CCENT covers almost as much information as the old CCNA did. In any case, I suggest going for some CCNA (any track just so you can say you have CCNA) as soon as possible after you finish the CCENT.
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll echo CBTNuggets and Odoms book. Boson practice exams was also a great tool to gauge how ready I was to take the exam. I also used packet tracer and GNS3.

If you want to go a bit overboard and like having physical equipment, I bought 2 switches (2950 and 2960) and two routers (1841's) off ebay and paid less than 140$ for the 4. I had experience on cisco routers but not switches which is mainly why I bought the lab. I thought this helped out quite a bit seeing the actual equipment in front of me.

Best of luck!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odoms book and packet tracer did it for me, best of luck with your studies

Carl
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops