Options

Profiles on windows 2012 servers

twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
Under what conditions would local profiles be created on windows 2012 servers?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Any time you'd need to log in with a local profile, such as if the server isn't joined to the domain for example. The need for local profiles on individual servers on a domain is really dependent on what your lab/corporation/etc. requires.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These seem to be anamolies as a dozen or so regular users are creating profiles on a few of our domain file services. Wondering all cases of why a profile would be created? I can't think of reasons why I should be seeing this.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are they true local user profiles or domain users who happen to have user profiles on the server in question? The first time someone logs in at the console or over rdp a profile *should* be created on the machine for them, that's by design. Outside of that, I can't think of why a user profile would be created without IT intervention. Maybe some special cases for specific program or file access.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    bigger question, is why are they 'allowed' to make user profiles on the file server(s). The only person in the whole company that should have a profile is the administrator, everyone else should be access-based navigation.

If users need access to a server for profiles, make a terminal server. Most basic Microsoft Volume licensing comes with 5 Terminal Services CAL's, plenty for a terminal server farm where users need to access files.

It's just a very very bad omen to allow people to login directly to a file server, imagine they go on a website and get a virus, that profile and server are now at risk. Why take that risk with a file server?