apple **** vmware

slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
what do you guys think about apple move to **** vmware for free alternative KVM? i think more companies would start to do that wonder how that would effect vmware.

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    VMware pricing is a little high I will admit. VMware will need to adapt to ever changing landscapes, this includes their pricing if it start to make customers sway the other way.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not as free as you might think. They are likely still paying a lot of money for support to Red Hat.

KVM + OpenStack is probably a better fit for them than VMware, cant imagine they have a lot of(if any) Windows VMs.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Not as free as you might think. They are likely still paying a lot of money for support to Red Hat.

KVM + OpenStack is probably a better fit for them than VMware, cant imagine they have a lot of(if any) Windows VMs.

Cancelling a $20 million contract allows them a much cheaper solution...pay embedded developers to maintain KVM over paying VMware.

Who said they're using Red Hat? KVM is open source and is not owned by Red Hat.
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will be surprised how many companies would rather have some insurance in contracts and SLA's then to make moves to open source software. I spent years in my previous job trying to convince my PM to change from Red Hat to (Fedora/Cent OS) and he was hesitant because there was no support contract. I used that support contract once in the 4 years I was there. I can see many start up companies using open source but it would be a huge change for data centers which probably just went virtual maybe in the last 5 years. If a company establishes it's Brand its hard to pitch alternatives. With that said I buy Tylenol even when the generic brand has the same ingredients and is half the price.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    You will be surprised how many companies would rather have some insurance in contracts and SLA's then to make moves to open source software. I spent years in my previous job trying to convince my PM to change from Red Hat to (Fedora/Cent OS) and he was hesitant because there was no support contract. I used that support contract once in the 4 years I was there. I can see many start up companies using open source but it would be a huge change for data centers which probably just went virtual maybe in the last 5 years. If a company establishes it's Brand its hard to pitch alternatives. With that said I buy Tylenol even when the generic brand has the same ingredients and is half the price.

100% agree with you. In my experience, people are afraid to take ownership of problems resulting in exorbitant support fees for support that you will use maybe 1-2 times ever. The 2 times I've had to call enterprise level support for VMware or Red Hat for an issue I end up figuring it out before they get a chance to.
  • zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    still a long ways before vmware gets dumped by big corporations if that ever happens consistently
  • AcruxAcrux Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mitechniq wrote: »

Sums up Enterprise vs Mom and Pop.. That SLA is a huge thing for the enterprise whom calculate down to the second the cost of an issue. Whereas mom and pops generally don't even consider the cost of maintenance or support in purchases/budgeting.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Acrux wrote: »
    Sums up Enterprise vs Mom and Pop.. That SLA is a huge thing for the enterprise whom calculate down to the second the cost of an issue. Whereas mom and pops generally don't even consider the cost of maintenance or support in purchases/budgeting.
    I wouldn't call Apple "Mom and Pop" though... nor Paypal or anyone else on this list: https://www.openstack.org/user-stories/
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm