Options

Put out mad apps, no calls, help me

thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Alright. Gonna try and give you the rundown quick and easy like. Basically I've applied to over 100 jobs and that's an underestimate I'm sure, only one has contacted me back and I'm due for an interview sometime within this week or next week.

My method of applying - basically I applied to everything. I mean from entry level help desk to like Network Engi 2 positions that require an active top secret clearance. I know what you're thinking, this dude is mad sick...well, you're right, I'm mad sick for getting my foot in the door! I'm not getting demoralized yet, but I'm surprised more entry level jobs haven't contacted me. I'm putting up my resume for you guys to tear me a new one over, so that way I may improve upon my resume. I read on here that if you put out mad applications and don't get any calls it's most likely your resume.

Now bear in mind, I'm switching over into the IT career field so my experience in the field is nada, zip, zilch, zero you heard me? So don't be surprised when you look at my resume and see experience in the lab field instead of IT.

Appreciate any help, you guys have an endless supply of knowledge and experience in the field. Let me have it.

Thanks,
Wiz
Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP

Comments

• Options
    cms819cms819 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man. Thanks for sharing, I see you applied for over 100 jobs.. maybe you should make it 200
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First, I would change your objective statement to a professional summary and remove rewards and competencies, and your references section.

Also the format is....well.... leaves room for improvement.

Take a look at this resume (ptilsten's resume), it's got a great format!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html

I'd start with reformatting and hopefully more will chime in!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You put down "expert experience in hardware and software technologies", but you don't give any proof or evidence of that in your resume.
  • Options
    mamoreno89mamoreno89 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to have the same issue, but took everyone's suggestions here on the forums. A couple things that stood out to me:

- Try to incorporate a one-page resume
    - I learned to not put every job task, but only relevant to the job posting
    - With the last point, tailor your resume to the job posting
    - With your tasks from the jobs, show qualitative results
    - Also, move your education and certifications at the top of your resume (following your professional summary of course).
  • Options
    Thanks for the pointers guys/gals, noted and will make changes ASAP.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So I know that the general assumption around here is to blast your resume out to every company in a 3 country radius. Personally I've never found that to be a good strategy, if you applied to 100 jobs then chances are 90 hr reps throughout your resume, 10 passed it on to managers who then threw it out.

The "give your resume to everyone" mentality comes from people with experience in IT applying to every job posting because HR reps don't know how to write them and maybe you qualify for what they need. When it comes to someone with no experience you should really limit your applications to entry-level jobs and giving it out to everyone you know personally that might be able to stick it in someone's hand. You can do more, but wasting time is frustrating.

If your clearance is active, or has been active within the last two years and isn't past the expiration date I would focus on cleared contractors. Check out clearancejobs.com to see what companies are hiring in your area, apply on there, but then follow up and talk with an actual person. Most of the time they can make do with certifications and a clearance, training you up is the easy part.

If you haven't already, create an account on LinkedIn, fill out your information there and try connecting to recruiters in your area. Also LinkedIn labs has a very nice resume generation tool that pulls from your profile. It looks great and as long as you keep your LinkedIn profile updated it takes 2 minutes to generate a new resume.
  • Options
    I don't possess a clearance, never have. Though if I were ever offered a job that required me to obtain one I shouldn't have any trouble.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In that case I would stop applying to the jobs that request an active clearance, you're wasting your time and the companies. If they say "ability to obtain" go for it, but that's generally limited to the government hires, not contractors, etc. I've some select few large contract companies bring in interns that work in their own offices for a year or so and get them clearances, or very specialized and experienced individuals that they need, but otherwise it's unlikely if the position is looking for someone that has an active clearance.
  • Options
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    In that case I would stop applying to the jobs that request an active clearance, you're wasting your time and the companies. If they say "ability to obtain" go for it, but that's generally limited to the government hires, not contractors, etc. I've some select few large contract companies bring in interns that work in their own offices for a year or so and get them clearances, or very specialized and experienced individuals that they need, but otherwise it's unlikely if the position is looking for someone that has an active clearance.

For sure. Do you know of some good websites that a possible contractor could go to for US gov job listings?
  • Options
    UltimasUltimas Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you gotten with any recruiters? I'm sure if you connect with a couple on LinkedIn or call someone up and introduce yourself they'd be more than able to place you. Let them do the searching for you since you're just trying to get in the door icon_cool.gif

I would polish the resume (I'd remove the objective and add a summary like stated earlier, Objectives have to be tailored to each job you apply for) and submit another 100 :).
  • Options
    Oh, right, Linkdin. Gotta get on that.

I'll post my updated resume when I get the chance. I basically used the resume template posted earlier in this thread, I hope the author is ok with it. Giving all props to him and N2IT.
  • Options
    As promised here is my new and improved resume, take a look see and let me know.
  • Options
    cms819cms819 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like it. Good luck on the job hunting. Keep your chin up. When you get knocked down you gotta get back up again they're never going to keep you down.
  • Options
    UltimasUltimas Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thewiz8807 wrote: »
    As promised here is my new and improved resume, take a look see and let me know.

It looks good. I'd remove that "entry level knowledge" part and replace it with "knowledgeable and certified in networking technologies" or something to that effect.

I'd also move your cents ahead of your experience.