Options

Federal Jobs and WGU

tsimmnstsimmns Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone here currently work for the Federal Government with a degree from WGU? I'm still debating WGU or AMU. If WGU didn't have pass or fail it'd be WGU all the way. However, when sending in transcripts the jobs for the 2210 series say degree in CS, Mathematics, Information Science of Technology Management which seems more business related. Both WGU And AMU have a degree called IT Management which I figure is the same thing. It also states if your degree isn't in those fields to have 24 semesters hours in those fields. Just curious have the Contempacy units are viewed instead of credit units. I plan to go further and get a Masters but I'd love for the WGU degree to open up the possibility of an entry level government job. I guess I'm just scared of making the wrong move with the GI BILLL instead of any move.

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you ask an enrollment counselor, they will tell you that the transcript from WGU the passes equate to a 3.0

I wouldn't see WGU being an issue with Federal jobs. It works for me in the Army. Qualifies for the post secondary education people are looking for. Also those degrees listed are more general catch all. If you can show the relation from your degree to the job posting. You shouldn't have a problem about the degree.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Thanks Taco, do you have a Bachelors from WGU? If so in what area of study. I was thinking BS in IT Management, but it seems very little of those courses are IT related. My prior coursework was in Business so most of it would transfer over instead of actually going the IT part of the school instead of the business route.

Also, for those that have attended how are the test or exams? I've read more writing than multiple choice. I guess my writing fears hold me back as its my worst subject.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Tsimmns, I have a Masters from WGU and am working for the federal government. They see the MS:IS&A degree as STEM. I do have a Top Secret clearance and military IT experience as well, but it looks like your prior military too. For your undergrad degree I would recommend going to a traditional brick and mortar school to take full advantage of your GI Bill. Plus you will get the full experience of being at a University, it is a lot of fun =) Let me know if you have any questions about the GI Bill, school in general(I've done a lot of it...), or working for the Feds.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Whiteout, would you mind emailing me?