Options

WGU BSIT - CLEP transfer

zackmaxzackmax Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi folks

Does anyone know if WGU has a limit/restriction on the number of credits that can be xferred via CLEP?
Any requirements on minimum number of credits that need to be taken as part of the program?

Can I CLEP any of the following?

Intermediate Algebra
English Composition I
English Composition II
College Algebra
Intro to Probability and Statistics
Intro to Physics
Critical Thinking and Logic
Finite Mathematics

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As those are general education courses, any applicable CLEP should be accepted, per this link.

Now, for the fun part: why do you want to CLEP the courses? Are the CLEP exams free to you? If yes, then I would say go for it. If not, and assuming that you feel you could easily CLEP the courses, I would just place those courses in my first term queue and blast them out quickly.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The minimum to graduate from WGU I believe is 30 CU's. I would check with them to be sure as only so many classes/courses can be transferred in from other schools.

I would also recommend checking out this link to help with additional questions you may have regarding WGU:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu.html
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thank you both for your responses.
    In my eval the only courses I see under non-transferable are Technical Writing and Capstone Project. Total of 7 credits.
    The counselor takes very long to respond so I am waiting on that too.

So basically if I write all the certs myself and clep out of the rest, I am just left with tech writing and capstone meaning 7 credits to graduate?

Or it's more like these 7 + 23 others?

stryder144, good question. Actually I don't know. I've been told CLEPs are easier/faster and less expensive. Is this not true?

Thanks!
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zackmax wrote: »
    In my eval the only courses I see under non-transferable are Technical Writing and Capstone Project. Total of 7 credits

There's a Principles of Management class that is non-transferable as well making it 11 CU's total now.

Not that sure about CLEP but WGU seems to fully accept it...

Schools that Accept CLEP Transfer Credit

If you want to try another route, ACE is also accepted.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    so whats' the difference between CLEP, ACE, and DSST. Are they are similar in terms of ease of pass, speed, cost etc. ?
    I think WGU accepts all 3.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    You must do at least 30 credits with WGU to receive a degree from them.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    tsimmnstsimmns Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fangs Principles of Management is not transferable. It's a shame because I took it at the state University here as a 300 level course and was hoping it would be one of the few I could transfer in.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Honestly, many of the basic WGU classes are like CLEP tests. I went DSST (DANTES) for public speaking which only took me two weeks. It probably would have taken me the same amount of time had I done it through WGU. Be advised, it costs $30 to mail a DSST (not sure about CLEP) transcript to WGU and it can take awhile.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    I am thinking of doing the math ones via straighterline since it might take me longer as I am weak in math.
    If it is 30 credits, then I will leave exactly 30 to be taken at WGU.
  • Options
    zackmax wrote: »
    If it is 30, then I will leave exactly 30 to be taken at WGU.

Easier said than done though! An entrance counselor will evaluate your transcripts/certifications/exams and determine what classes are equivalent. Also, their curriculum changes once in a while so you might face some slight differences. I thought it could transfer everything but the 30 to be taken at WGU. As of now, I have 50 CUs left and I'm appealing a few courses and bpenn had only 44 - just so you can gauge.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Thanks I agree. I have to confirm and get approval from counselor; however SL has a course to course mapping on their site as well
    WGU - College of Information Technology Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine
  • Options
    Saylor Academy has ACE-accredited courses that are free - well, except to take the exam!