Options

New job - Technology Change

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
So to keep things short and sweet. I have worked in networking (R/S, FW, Security, Wifi) for 8 some years, 15+ years in IT in general. I have a job opportunity to get into a strictly network security field (CISSP, IDS/IPS, Nessus, Meta, etc) Where I will get paid more and I will no longer touch routers, switches, firewalls, etc. Strictly IDS/IPS, SIEM, Antivirus, etc.

I will be focused on studying for the CISSP, Linux LPIC, GIAC certs etc. There is also room to grow with this newer employer.

Do I stay if my current employer matches? I will also be demanding they change my title to Sr Network Engineer. So looking to get matched or better and title change.

Any security engineers here want to chime in on their field? Do you see your networking peers jobs as more stressful? Are you happy where you are at?

Thanks guys, I need to tell my employer by Tuesday that I have a new offer icon_study.gif
Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Do not stay in old job even though they 'match' salary. It is now out there that you looked for a job. It just won't be the same. Go if you are truly interested in that new job.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for the new opportunity, if things don't work out you could always get back to touching routers.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am noticing better opportunities than the new job offer now. I have another job interview for another company next sat on the 17th. Can I tell the new first employer to give me until the weekend to decide on their offer? obviously I am not going to tell them I have another interview that saturday. However I want to at least get to this other job interview in order to see if all goes well. It is a better paying job. Yes these are two newer jobs now.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, it will also show you to see how patient they are. I hate places that put the squeeze on you to decide right then and there. That always gave me pause.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    if the new job has growth and allows you to touch other aspect of IT I still think understanding how a network flows will be helpful. On a side note getting deeper into security understand networking will only help you succeed.

If you hate it I bet you can find a better job doing routers again in a short period of time.