What OPx reduction implementations have you done for your organization?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

Curious what kinds of OPx reductions you guys have made recommendations for in your organizations that were implemented that reduced operating costs. Myself I recently recommended installing $45 Occupancy sensors for 4500 ceiling lights in our factory/warehouse of which only about 200 actually have people under them all day long. our yearly electric bill was over $38k.

As you can imagine I saw this as a opportunity cause I implemented these at my last job which has 6000 ceiling lights for a 2.5 million sq foot warehouse and added to their reduced OPx from a electrical standpoint. They are required for OSHA compliance but otherwise just waste electric, now after 3 minutes of no movement they turn off automatically, once someone comes back into range they take 8 seconds to turn on..

Adding these reduced our KWh's significantly at my current employer as they did my last employer, and at the same time of showing them the reductions I proposed hardware upgrades after getting them reduce OPx expenses....quite tactical I think... they approved the hardware/software upgrades quickly.... icon_razz.gif

My thinking of this topic is if you can make recommendations to save OPx then when you need stuff from a CAPx perspective they know your not just after upgrades all the time that spend CAPx. :)

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting topic... Because of the type of companies that I find myself working in - my focus tends to be one of revenue before cost. Meaning that given that I have a fixed investment pool of resources, I would generally prioritize revenue versus cost-saving activities unless the savings far out-weight the ROI.