Options

GSEC Passed!

iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
I took SEC401 in Las Vegas with Dr. Eric Cole and it was a blast. I had a lot of this stuff as preexisting knowledge but hearing all of Dr Cole's stories and examples from his practice was awesome.

What a rollercoaster this exam turned out to be... I had 100% after the 30 question check point at which point the test must have decided it was game on and I felt like every other question was pulled from the triva bank! I managed to keep it together for the most part and took a break at question 90 with a checkpoint score of 91%.

I ended up passing with a score of 90% in 2.5 hours. I would say that I knew about 2/3s of the answers as fact without referencing any material. It was a fun exam overall and I hope to complete more GIAC certifications in the future at some point.

***A special thanks to NovaHax for giving me an extra practice exam, it helped. I definitely owe some beer if/when I run into you at a future SANS conference.

Cheers!
2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
2020: GCIP | GCIA 
2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
2022: GMON | GDAT
2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congrats on the pass!
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    rudegeekrudegeek Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Bro! It was cool meeting you!

What's next?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rudegeek wrote: »
    Congrats Bro! It was cool meeting you!

What's next?

Thanks, you too! When are you attempting your GSEC?

After procrastinating with the VCAP-DCA and GSEC in back to back months I need to buckle down and finish my last 5 classes at WGU.

I want to do work study in Orlando but waiting a bit to fill out my app. Since I earned a 90% does that mean I receive an invite to the Advisory Board? Haven't seen an email yet.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    rudegeekrudegeek Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you do get an invite however, SANS isn't the fastest with things, so let us know when you get that invite!

I'll give it a go before the end of the month got an 80% on the practice test with out looking in my books and finished in 1.75 hrs.
    Just need to read thru the books and make my OWN index. I really want that advisory board invite :)

You should apply for work study ASAP! Congrats on both of those achievements, both BIG!
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Thanks, you too! When are you attempting your GSEC?

After procrastinating with the VCAP-DCA and GSEC in back to back months I need to buckle down and finish my last 5 classes at WGU.

I want to do work study in Orlando but waiting a bit to fill out my app. Since I earned a 90% does that mean I receive an invite to the Advisory Board? Haven't seen an email yet.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□