Options

A word of caution about CEH V8/V9

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would like to know how I'm tearing down other people? All I've tried to do is clear up confusion on how the exam is structured/developed, since it's quite clear not many people understand.
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TK1799_st wrote: »
    Your comments and those of IronmanX are irrelevant
    ECC already has stated the v9 was released too early
    ^^^Irrelevant. Why because there is no V9 exam only a V9 course. So they stated to you that the v9 course was released too early?

Course Objectives != CEH Exam Blue print.

I feel bad for you. You are amendment that you have been wronged. There is no way EC Council can just pass you and remain ANSI compliant. If they give you a refund/retake it sets a bad precedent for people who fail in the future. They have offed $150 off a retake.
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    After reading this thread as an outsider and reviewing post histories its pretty clear that BillV_ and IronmanX are either ECC employees/trainers or unbashed ECC fan boys...

Seems like ECC made a serious mistake, didn't have the controls to realize and now the ***** accounts here are trying to minimize the impact to the reputation of ECC by tearing down other people.

Well I'm no ECC employees/trainers I guess that makes me a unbashed ECC fan boys..... that or I just have the ability to comprehend what I read:
    "Seems like ECC made a serious mistake" - gahhhhh what mistake? having questions asked that are covered in the CEH blue print but not covered in a courses that is 3 years old .....

I'll admit I think Bill may work on the CEH standards/exam or something. He knows a lot about the behind the scenes process.
  • Options
    supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IronmanX wrote: »
    I'm Reading all these posts from people who failed and feel the same way towards them.

BillV_ has explained in great detail why things are the way they are.
    Yet I still see recent posts like:
    "The EC-Council has defined the scope of their exam in their official course material. They have official textbooks that contains all of the material you can be asked questions on. In this case the material is version 8 of the certification."
    This is wrong.
    EC-Council has defined the scope of their exam in their blue print and this has not changed.
    There are no official exam textbooks. As stated by Bill ANSI requires that a person be able to obtain a cert no matter what material they read.

After reading through all this I will say I do think you guys have recourse just not with EC Council. Why is the testing centre appending a version number to the exam code? This is misleading and you should be going after them for a free retake. I'll assume that you guys who have failed have documentation that says 312-50v8? Right now when searching Pearson Vue there are no 312-50v8 listed just "312-50". However there is "312-49v8: Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator " so I can totally believe that Pearson Vue has screwed up and put v8 at the end of 312-50 which is misleading you the test taker. Go after them for a free retake and good luck.

Spoke with Pearson Vue this morning and they confirmed that EC-Council dropped the V8 exam on October 15th. Those who signed up, payed and studied the courseware, book, CBT, whatever for that version did not take that test. I understand that ANSI is not just a version specific but the new requirements are out there and you cannot take a version test as of the 19th. EC-Council could have honored the people left with the v8 path and rolled out the new requirements after all those were taken.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • Options
    Spoke with Pearson Vue this morning and they confirmed that EC-Council dropped the V8 exam on October 15th. Those who signed up, payed and studied the courseware, book, CBT, whatever for that version did not take that test. I understand that ANSI is not just a version specific but the new requirements are out there and you cannot take a version test as of the 19th. EC-Council could have honored the people left with the v8 path and rolled out the new requirements after all those were taken.

I looked up Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Information in the way back machine and it looks like they stopped using v8 around June 2014.

I looked back from when I did my exam in March and the email from Pearson Vue does say:
    "

Exam:
    312-50v8 Certified Ethical Hacker v8 - English - (ENU)

"

My understanding of these testing centre's is that they pull the test from some server. It is not like they store them locally somewhere. Can any one add to this?

This version number may just be a pearson vue thing.

I still think those who failed don't really have a leg to stand on. The exam doesn't say that it only covered questions covered in the official v8 course. I was asked questions not covered in my materials. The exam has a blue print and any questions covered by that blue print are fair game.
  • Options
    The exam numbers have always been different from one testing center to the other. Pearson used 312-50, while one of the others used EC0-350 I believe. At one point, yes, the version numbers were included and did matter (prior to ANSI). If they continued to be used, I'm not sure if that's at the discretion of the testing center or EC-Council.

I don't know what EC-Council will choose to do. If they have responded to some of these complaints and said that there was a mistake, then maybe there was.

Things do happen from time to time, and that's what the appeal process is for. However, professionalism goes a long way. If you call up EC-Council screaming, or send over comments in the manner as described here, I wouldn't be shocked to see them turn you away. But, as a couple have done here, if you remain calm about it and present your case in a professional manner, you might get further.
  • Options
    A couple of general bullets there for those interested in the ANSI stuff:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_17024

And the ANSI site:
    https://www.ansica.org/wwwversion2/outside/PERgeneral.asp?menuID=2
  • Options
    I looked up Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Information in the way back machine and it looks like they stopped using v8 around June 2014.

I looked back from when I did my exam in March and the email from Pearson Vue does say:
    "

Exam:
    312-50v8 Certified Ethical Hacker v8 - English - (ENU)

"

My understanding of these testing centre's is that they pull the test from some server. It is not like they store them locally somewhere. Can any one add to this?

This version number may just be a pearson vue thing.

I still think those who failed don't really have a leg to stand on. The exam doesn't say that it only covered questions covered in the official v8 course. I was asked questions not covered in my materials. The exam has a blue print and any questions covered by that blue print are fair game.

My voucher I purchased from EC-Council has a version number on it, the exam date information for my appt to take the test has a version number on it and even my failed notice print out has a version on it, but as Pearson Vue told me, they received the update on the 15th. So if that is not a problem to you I am not sure what you are rating against?
  • Options
    TK1799_stTK1799_st Member Posts: 111
    Spoke with Pearson Vue this morning and they confirmed that EC-Council dropped the V8 exam on October 15th.

Yes - just received an e-mail from Pearson Vue stating that after I lodged a complaint and filed an Incident Report the day I took the exam (15 OCT 2015) - they pulled it. Intersting...but what do I know Billvirgin and IronwomanX think differently...

I used the same study methods I used to pass my CHFI - of course - they didn't change the exam the night before on me either...so I passed...neat how that works...and having the VP of ECC on my side aids my issue...

Great thing about forums - everyone discovers who to trust and who is a *****.
  • Options
    Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you had any further correspondence with the VP?
  • Options
    My voucher I purchased from EC-Council has a version number on it, the exam date information for my appt to take the test has a version number on it and even my failed notice print out has a version on it, but as Pearson Vue told me, they received the update on the 15th. So if that is not a problem to you I am not sure what you are rating against?

My exam pass printout from March does have v8 on it twice.
    "Certified Ethical Hacker v8 Exam Examination Score Report" - yeah it says Exam Examination.
    Exam Code: 312-50v8

Although it looks to me like this print out is Pearson Vue/site specific.

"So if that is not a problem to you I am not sure what you are rating against?"
    - I and others got many questions not covered in the 5 day v8 official course or the all in one books (I actually read v7 then skimmed v8 and did the v8 practice test). The whole premise of the people who failed complaining is that the v8 course objectives are not the same as the exam blue print. Well that has ALWAYS been true for every one who has took the course and done the exam. The exam blue print has never lined up to the course objectives.
  • Options
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    Have you had any further correspondence with the VP?

"and having the VP of ECC on my side aids my issue..."

So they have said there was an issue and will be giving you a refund?

All those who failed what would make it right with you?
    Refund, Free Retake (knowing now that it includes questions not covered in any one course/place), Automatic Pass ???
  • Options
    The BLUEPRINT is the AREAS covered on how many questions will be on the exam. The OBJECTIVES list the specifics of those general areas. A person who wishes to take the CEH exam need both to concentrate on what to study and the amount of study in certain areas. CompTIA does the same thing with their exams. It's nothing new or genius.

You refer to the blue print as an all knowing-end all document. It's not. It a general blueprint - its why its called that. The Objective list content and the content on the exam given after the update was pushed (verified by ECC & Pearson Vue) was different from what I and others were suppose to take. The v9 Objective is what we were given. It's unfair - unprofessional - and it will be corrected.

unbelievable.....
  • Options
    The BLUEPRINT is the AREAS covered on how many questions will be on the exam. The OBJECTIVES list the specifics of those general areas. A person who wishes to take the CEH exam need both to concentrate on what to study and the amount of study in certain areas. CompTIA does the same thing with their exams. It's nothing new or genius.

You refer to the blue print as an all knowing-end all document. It's not. It a general blueprint - its why its called that. The Objective list content and the content on the exam given after the update was pushed (verified by ECC & Pearson Vue) was different from what I and others were suppose to take. The v9 Objective is what we were given. It's unfair - unprofessional - and it will be corrected.

unbelievable.....

There is no such thing as CEH Exam Objectives.........

unbelievable is right.....
  • Options
    There is no such thing as CEH Exam Objectives.........

unbelievable is right.....

go look on their website -- it's all over the place -- it's in books - they advertised it - it's in their OFFICIAL Course when you buy it...

You and Billv are trolling for information that no one is going give you...your technique is poor and just annoying....
  • Options
    Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just stop replying to them. I have no idea why you would dedicate so much time and effort to posting in all these threads to something that doesn't concern you at all.
  • Options
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    Just stop replying to them. I have no idea why you would dedicate so much time and effort to posting in all these threads to something that doesn't concern you at all.

true....my fear is that they will actually talk someone into a course of action that will cost them in the long run....
  • Options
    go look on their website -- it's all over the place -- it's in books - they advertised it - it's in their OFFICIAL Course when you buy it...

You and Billv are trolling for information that no one is going give you...your technique is poor and just annoying....

Both are listed here. The exam is based on the blueprint (very bottom table).
    Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Information

This includes how many questions, as well as specific sections and what a candidate should have knowledge of. This is not derived from the objectives outlined in the courseware and the courseware does not influence the exam.

What information am I trolling for?
  • Options

Nope nothing about exam objectives.
    Course Objectives != Exam Blueprint

exam_objectives.jpg

" trolling for information that no one is going give you...your technique is poor and just annoying...."
    What information would I want from you?
    Is this because I asked what would make you happy? I asked because I assume you don't want to retake it or if you do you want to demand it be the v8 version which doesn't exist. They did offer someone here who failed $150 off a retake. Would you retake it now knowing the exam is meant to test real life experience and your not gonna get that from a 5 day course?

Hey I didn't have that great of an exam experience either but I didn't put the blame of that on others. When I see people who scored in the 90's i think wow they must have a lot of experience or got an easier test then I got (I assume the difficulty of the tests are probably about the same). In one of the posts EC Council said that the amount of failures and passes on the questions you where asked falls within the acceptable range. That did seem like a can response but if true it means they are not seeing a spike in failures.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    People, this thread is starting to flame. If you want your comments to remain visible to the public Internet community then I suggest dropping this apples-and-oranges discussion about what CEH exam objectives look like. Stick with CompTIA exams if you want detailed exam exam objectives.
  • Options
    Nope nothing about exam objectives.
    Course Objectives != Exam Blueprint

exam_objectives.jpg

" trolling for information that no one is going give you...your technique is poor and just annoying...."
    What information would I want from you?
    Is this because I asked what would make you happy? I asked because I assume you don't want to retake it or if you do you want to demand it be the v8 version which doesn't exist. They did offer someone here who failed $150 off a retake. Would you retake it now knowing the exam is meant to test real life experience and your not gonna get that from a 5 day course?

Hey I didn't have that great of an exam experience either but I didn't put the blame of that on others. When I see people who scored in the 90's i think wow they must have a lot of experience or got an easier test then I got (I assume the difficulty of the tests are probably about the same). In one of the posts EC Council said that the amount of failures and passes on the questions you where asked falls within the acceptable range. That did seem like a can response but if true it means they are not seeing a spike in failures.

Great way to make money - "Find out what's on the current exam by paying $600 - then when you fail - come back and take it for $350" - a sales pitch that won't work....icon_thumright.gif

Try to understand what I'm about to write down.

The VICE PRESIDENT OF EC COUNCIL AGREES WITH ME.

Read it - let it soak in ....and here's the url link to the Objective 9 off of ECC website for CEH v9:

https://www.eccouncil.org/Certification/certified-ethical-hacker/CEH-What-You-Will-Learn

18 modules --- V8 had 20 modules in it...I know - I have the OFFICIAL COURSEWARE from EC COUNCIL.

We are done with this conversation.
  • Options
    You want to know how someone can know what test they took... if you had questions regarding anything in this "What's New in Version 9" list: CEH: Certified Ethical Hacking course from EC-Council

Then you took the new exam.

It's that simple. Its not a matter of previously taking it or not. There are body of knowledge that has been on their site and tons of material covering just that... nothing about the stuff on "what's new of version 9"

I am just trying to clear it up and I can't believe its turned into this, kinda takes away from being a place were professional can encourage and build up the community...
  • Options
    Great way to make money - "Find out what's on the current exam by paying $600 - then when you fail - come back and take it for $350" - a sales pitch that won't work....icon_thumright.gif

Try to understand what i'm about to write down.

The VICE PRESIDENT OF EC COUNCIL AGREES WITH ME.

Read it - let it soak in ....and here's the url link to the Objective 9 off of ECC website for CEH v9:

https://www.eccouncil.org/Certification/certified-ethical-hacker/CEH-What-You-Will-Learn

18 modules --- V8 had 20 modules in it...I know - I have the OFFICIAL COURSEWARE from EC COUNCIL.

We are done with this conversation.

I think everyone else gets it by now that the objectives are for the course and have nothing directly to do with the exam.

Your retake should be totally different so you would not have found out what is on the exam but may be better prepared for what the exam is like and the breadth of its coverage, which is what makes it challenging.
  • Options
    You want to know how someone can know what test they took... if you had questions regarding anything in this "What's New in Version 9" list: CEH: Certified Ethical Hacking course from EC-Council

But that is the course not the exam.
    It says so right on that page "What is new in CEH Version 9 Course".

I think we are being professional. icon_cool.gif
    Clearly there needs to be some better naming of courses to avoid people going in thinking they will learn all the need to know from the 5 day official course to pass the exam.

Seems like the whole course version thing (no such thing as exam version) is a marketing move made to draw attention to a new CEH course. I suggested before maybe putting in the year instead.
This discussion has been closed.