Options

Staffing agency and contract negotiations.

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was just offered a position that is paying 18.50 and I have insider knowledge that this position has paid upwards of $25. My friend has this position just recently was able to get me in. I asked the staffing agency to negotiate to $23.

They called me back and seemed concerned, with the idea of negotiating. Again, my friend negotiated when hired in. Are they trying to pull a fast one?

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As someone who is a contractor, they'll always try to low ball you. If you think you're worth $23/hour definitely ask for it.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems like they are in my opinion. Thing is if you try to negotiate they may say to themselves I'll just get a another candidate who would be fine with $18.50. If you really need the job then it's a tough one, you don't want to jeopardize your chances of getting a job at the same time you don't want to get screwed over with pay rate. Are you negotiating with the same recruiter that your friend negotiated with?
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did your friend get hired on to the company directly or though a staffing agency? That could be another factor to look at.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't believe the recruiters are "trying to pull a fast one" they are just doing their jobs and trying to get their company the most money they can... I don't trust recruiters with almost anything they say though. Believe they will do almost anything for a dollar. icon_twisted.gif

Remember reading other people saying how a recruiter they were working with lied about the person's experience to try and get them a job.
  • Options
    Yes, my friend went through the same staffing agency and negotiated. He told me that the position paid anywhere from 15.50 to 29 and hour. The high mark was a guy who has been there since the 80's. I think there is a lot of play with with salary.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    The staffing agency has to make their money somehow. Why are you going through a staffing agency? Go directly to the company.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't believe the recruiters are "trying to pull a fast one" they are just doing their jobs

Agreed. Always keep in mind the staffing agency's customer is the company, not you. You need to look out for yourself.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    That is how it is handled. All jobs go through the staffing agency. . When I asked to counter they called me back and said they pulled the offer. I contacted my contact and they are looking into it.