Options

Phone interview for a vague position

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I received a call back today for a phone interview next week with the technical manager of a position I applied to two weeks ago.
The official position titles is: "IT Provisioning Analyst". I spent 30 minutes researching the title before applying and seen it covered a very wide range of duties from working solely in active directory (creating/modifying/removing accounts) to servicing & delivering new hardware/software for organizations.

Anyone see a common thread among this position title? I know titles are just about useless... I am hoping to spend some time researching/learning the skill set that is likely to be covered in the interview but I have no idea what this job could be for.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Was there no description when you applied for the position?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You didn't ask the interviewer for a clearer picture of the position? I always ask for the description to be sent to me if it isn't clear to me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    You didn't ask the interviewer for a clearer picture of the position? I always ask for the description to be sent to me if it isn't clear to me.

I did...I also asked to clarify the salary. His email response was simply a copy/paste "guide" to joining a phone bridge with a date and time. No other details.

Should I push for info before the interview or wait it out?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Was there no description when you applied for the position?

its 20 bullet points of this stuff:

Applies basic understanding of the principles of information technology with working knowledge in one or two technology environments.
    Chooses from established procedures to address customer problems.
    Directs customers to the correct resources when necessary for problem resolution.

the reason I applied is because of this:

Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Security Team Lead or Security Manager

it sounds like it might be entry level security.
  • Options
    LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds sketchy. I tend to pass on vague and unclear jobs, but if you really need a job then see what happens.
  • Options
    Sounds sketchy. I tend to pass on vague and unclear jobs, but if you really need a job then see what happens.

I am happily employed, but the learning curve has all but stopped. I am looking for the next challenge/step up the ladder. The thing about this employer is they are pretty large (~125,000 users, 3000 IT), and I have worked for them before so I know they are a great employer...their HR/hiring side appears to need some work however.

I reached out to my former manager there, he does not know any of the people I am interviewing with. He said they are "national" which means this is a work from home position.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I did...I also asked to clarify the salary. His email response was simply a copy/paste "guide" to joining a phone bridge with a date and time. No other details.

Should I push for info before the interview or wait it out?
    YES! Push for more information! I'd be wary of the 'vagueness' of it all.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only apply for jobs that have a clear, concise description of required duties. Personally, I would throw this position over my shoulder and move on to something else.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had a similar experience and turned down the job.

I had an interview with a three letter organization for an exploitation analyst position. When they sent me an offer the position had a psy-ops position number on the letter head. I called and asked what the mix up was and they said no that's correct... I asked if they could elaborate on what the hell the job is and they said respectfully no.

I will never trust an organization that is not 100% transparent upfront, even in a classified environment. It usually means they are doing something that most people would not agree with.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Not sure what the general "Provisiong Analyst" title would portray to everywhere else, but if it is similar to our "IT Provisioning Team" then you would be working with account creation, access approval and configuration, and password resets, etc.
  • Options
    YES! Push for more information! I'd be wary of the 'vagueness' of it all.

I had to email them this morning because they scheduled the meeting outside of my availability that I sent them. I also inquired about salary again as well as more details "to ensure neither of us are wasting our time".

Salary is the same as I get now (no work from home though, which I do now) and its "access provisioning"...working in and servicing AD accounts alongside a bevy of internal applications (medical apps). I turned down the interview. That would be a step back for me.

Learned a bit about how to handle this part though (thanks everyone). My last phone interview as for my first IT job...and it was pretty much a setup. The recruiter I worked with spoon fed me the questions and detailed how my responses should go the day ahead of the meeting. The actual meeting was with the recruiter and the hiring manager, which of course went well because there were no surprise questions. Salary/hours/job description was well known because of the recruiter.