Options

RESUME REVIEW and Looking for Some Experienced Opinions and Suggestions

nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
A little about me...I'll try to keep this as concise as possible: I'm currently an L2 Desk Side Support Analyst at a Fortune 50 corporation. I've done the job here nearly two years and I'm ready to move on from my current position. My problem is that I'm not sure which avenue I should pursue. Ultimately, I want to design and implement secure cloud solutions, but I'm not sure what gets me there. Is a year or two in a NOC best or should I be looking for the right sysadmin or jr. sysadmin position and learning the craft and building my skills?

I don't have college degree, but I've got the standard A+, N+, MCP and four years corporate experience moving from Helpdesk to Desktop L1 and L2 progressively at Fortune 100 companies. Currently, I'm re-taking the 411 at the end of the month, and I'm scheduled and paid up for the VMWare course at Stanley CC online beginning the 27th, so within the next two months I'll be able to add MCSA Server 2012: Virtualization to the list of certifications and VMWare's VCP5-DCV within the first quarter of next year at the latest. After passing the 411, I plan on taking the 409 NOT the 412 so that I can get the Virtualization specialization. I LOVE building VMs and clustering want to turn that into my everyday work.

My questions are these: 1. Does this path (and a lot of hard work) make me attractive to employ at an organization where I can learn more administration and virtualization? 2. Should I be open to higher level Desktop Support Positions that do SOME administration, or should I hold out for a jr. sysadmin or jr. network technician position? 3. Should I be looking for the opportunity at an MSP or should I more heavily c
oncentrate on corporate positions? Sorry if I didn't meet my goal of brevity, but I wanted to paint at least a somewhat complete picture.

icon_lol.gif

20151013 w Dates Anonymized and Images Reduced.doc
2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
"I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever

Comments

• Options
    BUMP this thread. I added my resume for review. Please take a second to comment!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for uploading your resume. After a quick read I think it looks pretty good. Couple of thoughts:
    1) Not a big fan of the cert logos.... if you do use those I'd move the certification section to the bottom and put the logos there along side them
    2) I'd change "Comptia" to "CompTIA"
    3) I prefer to spell out Network+ and Security+
    4) For Security+ it's already october 2015 so the test date of 8/15 has already passed so that looks weird...what's going on with your Security+?
    5) good adjectives and tense usage
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I've been wondering if the logos were more for my ego then actual effectiveness. I think I'll nix them altogether. Good call too on "Comptia" vs. "CompTIA". I was actually asked in a phone interview what Comptia was. It didn't occur to me that the interviewer couldn't recognize the certification in the way that it was formatted. As far as the Security +, that particular objective I just moved back personally with the VMWare class coming up and having to test for the 411 and 409 still, so I'm just going to take it out.

20151013 w Dates Anonymized and Images Removed.doc