Options

Skills that go together?

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Was wondering is it more beneficial to know Windows and Linux or VMware plus an OS?

Obviously it would be nice to know a little of each but let's pretend not. As an example, I've seen guys who know everything about Exchange, but VERY little about other tech that do well for themselves.

Comments

• Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend that if you are doing VMware that you would be good to learn a little bit about Linux.
    Also think of what you want to do.
    Never a bad thing to learn Windows.
    Also like Exchange example you give, never good to know one solution.

on the other thought, if you try to know everything then you never really specialize.
    Good to know a solution in depth so you specialize.
    Specialization, IMO is more important at larger companies.

A small company, you may have to be involved in everything.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say vmware+os is much more beneficial. If you're working on a server there's a very high chance it's virtual. I rarely see windows and linux on job listings. If you're targetting SMB windows+hyper-v is in high demand here.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This isn't exactly what you were asking, but I would recommend VMware and PowerCLI which is basically learning PowerShell. PowerShell will allow you to work much more efficiently, and PowerShell opens the doors for you to work on systems that you may not be familiar with, but the PowerShell cmdlets are consistent enough, that you could pull and manipulate data from your PowerShell experience.

Of course, I work with VMware and PowerShell so I'm obviously biased.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    VMware + Storage + OS is a great combo and is highly sought after in the world of virtualization because very few people actually have hands on experience with business grade storage systems.