Options

Trying to Start a Career in IT Security

elvinguitarelvinguitar Member Posts: 20 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys. I just want to ask what position to apply to start my career in the IT Security field. I'm knowledgeable in IT security and I do have more than 3 yrs of experience in penetration testing and vulnerability assessment (not pro though) as my part-time/freelance job. I've seen positions like IT Security Analyst but I want to focus/specialized in Penetration Testing. It seems like the field for Penetration Testing is not that common here in our country (Philippines). So any inputs what position I can apply so I can use my penetration testing skills as a full-time job and enhance it. Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'd be better off reading the job descriptions for job postings more than looking at the titles. Where I am, the titles range from Cyber Security Engineer to Cyber Engineer to Computer Forensics Analyst. Your best bet would be to visit the Indeed website and do a search for "penetration testing" and your location.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    TheCudder wrote: »
    You'd be better off reading the job descriptions for job postings more than looking at the titles. Where I am, the titles range from Cyber Security Engineer to Cyber Engineer to Computer Forensics Analyst. Your best bet would be to visit the Indeed website and do a search for "penetration testing" and your location.
    Thanks bro. I'll do that. One of the problem I'm having is the certification. If the job post requires a cert and the recruiter didn't see that I have a cert, then they will ignore my application. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks bro. I'll do that. One of the problem I'm having is the certification. If the job post requires a cert and the recruiter didn't see that I have a cert, then they will ignore my application. icon_sad.gif
    Some of the positions have a legal requirement that you have a cert. Are you looking for a job in PI or in the US?
  • Options
    I'm looking for a job here in the Philippines. It seems like I can't get pass the recruiter since I don't any cert yet (though I'm current reviewing for Sec+) even though I do have experience in pentest.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly man, you just have to get some certifications quick to pass through the first-level of HR defense (the 3 second look -> impress or trash can) to even have a shot at IT security (anywhere really). Sec+ is a great start but most employers are going to want to see Linux+ with that as well as CCNA/Network+ just so you know basic network security, design and best practices.Throw in CEH and some pentesting certs for knowledge of CVE and you'll be on your way to a great career. Good luck!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown