Options

Difference between the 2 official CISSP books

goodrookiegoodrookie Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I wanted to ask you about the 2 book offered by ISC2 to prepare for CISSP exam.

1) CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 7th Edition (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1119042712?keywords=cissp&qid=1444852961&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1). Price: $36.49 (Kindle)

2) Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition ((ISC)2 Press) 4th Edition (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482262754?keywords=cissp&qid=1444852961&ref_=sr_1_2&s=books&sr=1-2). Price: $60.20 (Kindle)

Could anyone explain to me the differences?
Why is it the 1st almost half the price?
One of them is better tan the other?
Both of them cover the new 2015 topics?

Thanks so much!
G.

Comments

• Options
    Guys, sorry to bother again, but I need guidance in order to buy one of the two books...

Thanks!!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just look at the reviews for both. The OIG has been historically a frankenmonster of ramblings put together to form a book. If you like pain, get it. Otherwise, look elsewhere. I have always been a fan of the Eric Conrad books and the Harris AIO. Don't get stuck on thinking that you absolutely need one of these two books because theya re newer. The core concepts are still the same so "old" books are still good.

Also, make sure you go through the "Passed CISSP: posts here to see resources others are using.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Just look at the reviews for both. The OIG has been historically a frankenmonster of ramblings put together to form a book. If you like pain, get it. Otherwise, look elsewhere. I have always been a fan of the Eric Conrad books and the Harris AIO. Don't get stuck on thinking that you absolutely need one of these two books because theya re newer. The core concepts are still the same so "old" books are still good.

Also, make sure you go through the "Passed CISSP: posts here to see resources others are using.

Thanks so much for your reply. As a matter of fact, I read all of the reviews for both of them in Amazon, most are very critical with CISSP CBK 4th Edition. They say it’s a disaster in its wording and with incoherent contents. Has lots of bad ratings.
    In general, the Official Study Guide has good reviews.
    Off course I have all of the other books you are mentioning, but I wanted some official material to complement especially because the 2015 topics like mobile and cloud. Let’s be honest, Harris AIO, Conrad’s book and similar are at least 3 years old. Great material, but needs to be complemented. And that complement, in my opinion should be with official material.
    I’ve already reviewed the “Passed CISSP” o “Failed CISSP” posts, but my doubt remains.
    So, again, I’d really appreciate it if someone knows the precise difference between these 2 books and could tell me.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've not read or considered the CISSP CBK because of its poor reviews. There is a lot of material to cover and I would rather choose something well written and accurate. I am just finishing up Ch 17 of the Sybex book and it is fairly well written. My main complaint is that it is very wordy compared to Eric Conrad's book. I much prefer the concise and to the point explanation of Eric Conrad. For a beginner, the Sybex book would be a great match.
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I own the Eric Conrad, the Official CBK and the Sybex books.

1. The official CBK Sucks, IMHO it was rushed to be released. The index is not complete and at times it's a rambling mess.
    2. The Conrad books are good reads, but not updated to the new domains and the added information. The new version's due out sometime this Novemeber
    3. The Sybex is a good read, it breaks down the 8 domains into 20+ chapters making it easier to digest. At the end of each chapter there is a summary and practice test.
    4. Don't have the Harris books...

Each of the books have a great abundance of information. Each of them has information that the others don't and vice versa. I wish there was a Straight answer to your question. I take my test on Nov 7 and will be able to give you an answer as to which book I felt helped me the most, but as it says on the (ISC)2 site...the CISSP is to test your combined knowledge, there is no one source of information...

Good luck
  • Options
    cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I am one of few here who passed by reading the official CBK without reading anything else (read a few topics on Shon though, long time before exam), but I agree it was very tiresome to read, so not a good idea for most people. At least, even if you are prepared to read the CBK it is better accompanied by other resources, like those frequently discussed here.

However, it may not be entirely fair to compare the CBK with other exam-oriented resources because CBK was apparently not written from an exam-oriented perspective.

Overall I think materials are much better explained with Shon (though very wordy). I think Sybex too (haven't read myself). But I think CBK is more advanced, sometimes providing you with more food for thought than Shon's (at the cost of not explaining concepts well, if at all). Actually I found it to be a more useful resource for me as a practitioner in the long term compared with other exam-oriented ones, as it has a better emphasis on considerations a typical security practitioner needs to make on the job on a daily basis. This kind of decision making also plays a part in some of the exam questions as well (scenario-based questions), though you will likely be familiar with those provided you have the needed security work experience, or have really digested the material while you study rather than simply rote memorizing the facts.