Options

SANS MSISE vs MSISM

shoomshoom Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am pretty set on trying for one of the SANS masters degrees, but not sure which one would be better. I feel like I am leaning towards the MSISM program because of the fact I would eventually like to be in a higher InfoSec managerial position. I currently hold a Bachelor's in computer science with a high GPA and was wondering which may benefit more more in a higher earning potential with higher job security? Would getting the MSISM help me get into a higher paying position or would I better better doing the engineering program and focus on leadership courses for my electives and obtain other certs such as CISM?

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a masters degree I would look away from SANS and more towards like the Carnegie Mellon school, or another more prestigious program. The cost for SANS is the same as Ivy league schools and you don't get that same accreditation. I can see SANS getting you into a technical position, however once you want to move further a company seeing Carnegie Mellon vs SANS would more than likely side with CM.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    shoomshoom Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By not having the same accreditation do you mean as the way the school is looked at by employers? SANS is regionally acredited.
  • Options
    Yes it's accredited, but an employer seeing SANS vs Carnegie Mellon (using that example since they're about the same cost) not many will choose SANS, their program is just getting their own certifications. There's already a thread discussing the advantages and disadvantages of the SANS course and most members concluded for the cost it's just not worth it. Unless you can go completely free, and even then going to a school like Carnegie Mellon would be a better value.

• Options
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/114062-sans-master-degree.html

Here is the link if you want to read what some other members said.