Options

Negotiation after provding a range?

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
So at the end of my interview, one of the interviewers snuck the question in on me as we were walking out, so it caught me off guard when he asked "What I was looking for as far as salary goes?" Wasn't expecting it, and I didn't want to say anything specific and I gave a $5K range. Moving along to the following week, they extend me an offer and it's the bottom number of the range I provided. I really wasn't sure if I should or not, but I went ahead and sent off a letter to negotiate aiming for about the middle point of the $5K range I gave. Last I spoke with them, they said they'd try and see what they could do, and that they'd get back with me, it's been two days and I could just be over reacting, but there seemed like a lot of communication and follow up early on --- ie. I was contacted to let me know they'd be extending an offer, again to tell me that it's going through approval and should be in my inbox that day and once again the day I sent the negotiation reply ---- but it's been silent since --- wondering if I should just sit tight or send off another follow up e-mail? I feel like I may have put them off after giving a range, them meeting it and then asking to go higher in that range? In the past I've always accepted the first offer --- so this is a bit new for me.

Update: I guess I panicked too soon. I heard back and I got what I asked for icon_smile.gif --- I'm finally a Systems Administrator btw. So long end-user support!
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sit tight, and find a diversion, like looking for another place to interview. I think it's best to always keep another interview or position in line to aim for in order to keep the mind from doing what it normally does, which is stress you about every possible thing you could have done wrong, when in fact, you know what you are worth, and if they are willing to pass on you or not even come back and say this all we can do, but jump completely to passing, then that might not be a place work working for anyway.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agree with Chitown.

Although, I can definitely see it being off putting when you give them a salary range, they come in that range, and you come back and say that is not good enough... Would make me second guess that person. For all we know they are offering another candidate the position right now because you did that. Whenever a company asks for a salary range I always assume they would be starting off at the bottom point. Why wouldn't they? You said you would work for them for that much! (not saying all companies do that...)

Although if they liked you, I would imagine they would come up a little bit. Depends how well they liked you imo.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At this point, you may just need to sit tight and give them a few days. It sounds like it took them about a week to produce the original offer. If they are a big slow-moving company, there could be a lot of huddles and re-approvals to re-process an offer. I've worked at places where offer approval can take a week to process.

Congratulations on getting an offer - icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    When I give ranges, If I have no prior knowledge of what their ranges are through research, I put my minimum as the minimum of the range, and if I know what they are willing to pay or what others in a similar or same role are making, I put the range slightly above where I want.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off your playing right into the employers hands by giving a range. Right off the bat your boxed in and have no room to maneuver. Pretty much how we are taught when working from a weak position from our first job onward. Yeah? You'll hire me? I'll take anything, do anything for money. Since it worked all the way through your first few jobs it must be good right? Well, no.

After your first few positions in any industry, you've got some experience and know how. Hopefully, your still gainfully employed but looking for a better situation. Never, ever say JOB. McDonald's is a job. Sweeping floors is a job. See the point? There is both a reason your looking to better yourself and the hiring organization is looking to better itself through an investment of employment (you). Now if you've been fired from your last position, changing fields, etc your not going to have the same leverage but if your good at what you do and can keep yourself from turning into a puddle of viscous fluids. Try the following.

Prepare the negotiation or battlefield. Tell the opponent... errr I mean the hiring or decision maker what your making now. Fair game. Current position and title, Paid Time Off (even if you never use it), benefit package and lastly 401k, company match and how satisfied your are with there .5 percent maximum annual match. Cheapskates, anyhow. But don't say that directly. Hint around that benefits are important to you was. Gives you more working leverage to bargain for more salary or time off etc.

When asked for the 'what would it take' statement tell them only they know the value of your services to the organization maybe. This puts people a little on the spot and takes much of the I'm desperate enough to roll over and put my paws up in the air. This will get you a better salary than you were expecting about 40 percent of the time. Remember most people are terrible hagglers unless you grew up in a culture of hagglers. Its uncomfortable and people generally want it over as soon as possible.

If going through a recruiter and who isn't these days. You can transfer the risk over to the recruiter who is already going to have your and their wallets at heart. Yeah, they are going to ask for what else...? A range. Pad that range by 10-20 percent more than your making now and make them earn that sale. Otherwise they will be out making the next round calls to questionable candidates because they lost you! You can remind them, gently, of that. Its in there best interest to close the deal, get the commission and move on the the next sucker... errr, client. Yes, I dislike headhunters. Likewise this works another 40 percent. Hey, lets add this up. We've already beaten the 5k range by a likely 80 percent margin!

The final 20 percent. You've given things your best shot. Grabbed all the leverage you can but still getting a below what you expect offer. Your either dealing with a real haggler, master guild member of the negotiating trade (some people really do this for a living) or your story isn't very convincing and you've overplayed your hand. Its really up to you and your ego to decide to go forward with the offer or not. Consider everything from work life balance to continuing education both paid and built-in and consider those hidden costs.

This is the MOST important idea to consider! Lastly consider what the organization is really willing to invest in you as an asset.

Yes, I make grown men cry.

- b/eads
  • Options
    I feel like I would end up getting paid less than I do now if I ever worked for Beads... And he would somehow make it sound like a good thing he is doing it...

**cowers in corner**
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    IF, and that is a BIG if.. IF you can afford it, always ask for more. They are normally coming to you with their low end, so you can get it up 1 to 2 grand at a minimum.

I say "if" because there is a potential it could kill the deal. I doubt it, but I guess it is possible. Most likely they will just stand firm on the low end. However if you are far enough along in your career, you get in a better place to make those requests for more moolah
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update: I guess I panicked too soon. I heard back and I got what I asked for icon_smile.gif --- I'm finally a Systems Administrator btw. So long end-user support!
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    Nice, congratz! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I feel like I would end up getting paid less than I do now if I ever worked for Beads... And he would somehow make it sound like a good thing he is doing it...

**cowers in corner**

No, if someone were to use this approach on me I would immediately recognize it and depending if the person were truly valuable to my needs I'd offer them more money than expected if not warranted for having the brass to do so in the first place. Someone that forward is likely to be more honest and straight forward with me than the wishy-washy type that roles over like a gamma-dog. icon_wink.gif

"I am not an animal... I am... A MAN!" - The elephant man.

I am challenging but hardly an arseho le to work with.

- b/eads
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't see the problem people have with stating a range. They are either going to pay you what you want or not. No amount of game playing is going to change that. Be honest up front what you want to make and it will make everyone's life a lot easier.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very cool, congrats!