Options

Senior-level role was reclassified

RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone else run into this before?

I interviewed for a Senior Systems Administrator position for a semi-medium-sized company. Everything seemed ok and I was certainly qualified for the role. Interview went well, but HR came back and said they reviewed their positions and decided to not hire a senior-level role. They reposted the job immediately after emailing me this with the senior part taken out of the title and for the database parts that were previously required are now just preferred. They hammered me on my database experience but nothing I couldn't handle. It's also worth pointing out this job was posted for a good five-six months and they requested that I come in and talk about this role with them (I originally declined going after it, but rekindled it months later).

I've moved on already, but the first time I have seen this occur myself. I'm thinking it might just be all about money and they did not like the cost of a senior-level person. I was not far off market pricing for this work, at least my research/experience here is pretty accurate as I've been aware of this market for many years. In phone screening they mentioned to me about one candidate who required over six figures (we wont hire someone at that level was the message) - which is quite far outside of the expected salary range in this town for this type of role. Never will know if they had other candidates recently (indications were strongly no), but I was likely the catalyst for this change.

Comments

• Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RoyalRaven wrote: »
    Has anyone else run into this before?

I'm thinking it might just be all about money and they did not like the cost of a senior-level person.

Nailed it. It's always about the money. Likely scenario: They'll end up settling for someone less qualified who will accept a much lower salary, which will end up being a mistake if the role is overly technical. The department will be in shambles, management will spend countless hours trying to figure out the issue, and eventually HR will justify it as a lack of qualified candidates in the area. Rinse and repeat until they finally decide to pay for the appropriate candidate, and that poor guy/girl will walk into a mess.

/rant
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    It could be budget, or it could be movement within the company/department. When we have openings for a senior level role, but then an internal candidate is promoted to senior, the job posting changes to a non-senior role. Happens fairly often.
  • Options
    echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Codyy wrote: »
    Nailed it. It's always about the money. Likely scenario: They'll end up settling for someone less qualified who will accept a much lower salary, which will end up being a mistake if the role is overly technical. The department will be in shambles, management will spend countless hours trying to figure out the issue, and eventually HR will justify it as a lack of qualified candidates in the area. Rinse and repeat until they finally decide to pay for the appropriate candidate, and that poor guy/girl will walk into a mess.

/rant

^ This! Oh, how many times I've seen this... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting. What town are you in? In my town most senior systems engineers make six figures or at least close to it. Many make up to 125k.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sj4088 wrote: »
    Interesting. What town are you in? In my town most senior systems engineers make six figures or at least close to it. Many make up to 125k.

Northwest Ohio area. Cost of living/housing is lower than average, so wages are in parallel. There are a few positions that cross that, but they are quite rare.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    That company went cheap.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This happened to a co-worker of mine earlier this year. They were even getting ready to process the background check, drug screen, etc, then the company demoted the hiring manager and reclassified the role into a lesser role, and moved the Sr. responsibilities to other existing roles. He didn't take the job, of course.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...