Options

I have my first interview tomorrow...............

t4echot4echo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
any thoughts as to what they may throw at me?? I just want to have a few things in mind so that I don't look like I am taking forever to answer. I think it will be with a few guys from the IT dept.

Comments

• Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    What position are you interviewing for?
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Good Luck......stay calm
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Best of luck.

All the best :D:D:D:D:D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • Options
    jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    any thoughts as to what they may throw at me?? I just want to have a few things in mind so that I don't look like I am taking forever to answer. I think it will be with a few guys from the IT dept.

Don't babble or talk to much. Answer the questions very straight forth, and stop. Don't worry about taking a bit of time to come up with your answer before speaking. Don't lie or expand experience or knowledge you don't have. Sit straight, make good eye contact, don't fidget, don't chew gum, have a pen and pad with you for notes. Have a great attitude. I've said it before. I'd rather have someone with no skill and a great attitude than someone with all kinds of smarts and a crap attitude.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Good words Jim -
    I also happen to be entering the real world very soon as well.
    I went to my local half price books and picked up a couple of great interview books and effective speaking books very cheap.
    These materials give you valuable tips, self confidence, and knowledgable facts for interviews.
    Here is 1 of the books I picked up -
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=156414464X&TXT=Y&itm=10
  • Options
    t4echot4echo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch for the input. The position is listed as Hardware Tech. I am hoping it is hardware with some networking. :)
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    have a pen and pad with you for notes

What? I think that would be distracting for the interviewers if you were writing things down during an interview not too mention it would seem as though you were not giving the interviewers your full attention. I have never done this and never heard of anyone doing this?

I could be wrong however. Anyone actually been successful with this tactic?
  • Options
    JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^ I was just thinking about that.

maybe if the interviewer takes a pause to look for some forms, or something, you could take that time to jot something down. but if you are looking down at a pad when hes talking to you, he might take it as rude.
  • Options
    strauchr wrote:
    have a pen and pad with you for notes

What? I think that would be distracting for the interviewers if you were writing things down during an interview not too mention it would seem as though you were not giving the interviewers your full attention. I have never done this and never heard of anyone doing this?

I could be wrong however. Anyone actually been successful with this tactic?

I have and I have. Obviously you won't sit there transcribing, word for word, everything the interviewer says but there are times when it’s fine, even recommended, to refer to note and jot down notes. There is usually a point in the interview when you hear, “Let me tell you about the position,” or “Let me tell you about our company.” I don’t believe anyone will mind being asked, “Do you mind if I take some notes?” Also, you are usually asked, “Do you have any questions about the position,” or “Do you have any questions for me?” Again, I don’t believe an interviewer would mind if you refer to a list of questions you have prepared before the interview. Now, I wouldn’t bring some ratty, school, spiral ring notebook. I use a simple legal notepad.
  • Options
    Obviously I won't what?
  • Options
    strauchr wrote:
    Obviously I won't what?

Oops, dupe copy / paste.
  • Options
    Fair comments. I have just never heard of it before. I just think it might be one more thing to get nervous over.
  • Options
    I could see where that might be the case. Or, someone might use it too much in an effort to channel their nerves. Actually I have an interview tomorrow so I’ll let everyone know.
  • Options
    kate88kate88 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nice comments!!! I know you will everything fine.So be careful and well prepare your interview for tomorrow.Don't be nervous.........Best of Luck for your interview!!!icon_study.gif

Resume Objective Examples Learn [URL="hhttp://www.resumeobjectiveexamples.net/jobs/art-resume-objective/"]Art Resume Objective[/URL]