GCED Passed

jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed with an 88%..so close! Overall, I didn't think the exam was too tough. I took 501 at SANSFIRE in Baltimore back in June and put off studying until ~a month ago. Definitely learned a lot in the course and I'm glad I took it!

Building up to the exam, I:
- Did an initial run-through of the books and built my index as I went. I had an excel sheet that tracked the # of pages I had to average per day to finish with a week to go until exam time. Finished this a week early.
- Took 1st quiz, got low 70's but only took a little over an hour to do it.
- 2nd run-through of books, focusing on parts of the books I knew I was weak on. Updated my index, split it into 3 tabs (main, linux tools/cmd, windows tools/cmd). Made lots of duplicate entries to make it easier to find things in the index
- 2nd quiz - 93%..used up 2 hours.
- Finalized index and had it printed/bound at FexEx for $13. Ended up being 32 pages total.

In the future, I'll get started on building my index and studying ASAP..I think that would have been much better - having the 2+ month gap didn't help me out at all. Next up for me is 503/GCIA..just trying to figure out which conference I want to attend

Comments

• 20152015 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Nice job, 88% is enough!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! I know your pain, I got a 88 on my GSEC a few months ago. I took SEC503 with Mike Poor in Virginia Beach. I highly recommend taking it with him if you can.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job on the pass! I second Jojocal19's recommendation on taking 503 with Mike Poor.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm still to break the 90 advisory barrier.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks everyone!
  • tumblejermtumblejerm Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have taken the GCED course in San Diego in May 2016. And I have been struggling to prepare for this test. I have created an Index of all 6 books and took my first practice exam and got a 49% icon_sad.gif. I thought my index failed me and had a hard time finding the tools and attack types from within my Index and really don't know how to improve it as I spent over 8 hours creating the index.

Is there any way I could borrow your index and I could e-mail you mine as well to see if i'm doing it right etc. This has been giving me anxiety for months now and I'm not sure what else to do.