dynamic distribution lists.

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Any one play with these much?

Say I have 3 users.

UserA - Joe.blogs- managed by Joe

UserB - Joe Simon - managed by tony

UserC - Sara Simon - managed by Sara,

I want to create a dynamic list that contain the managers of all staff with the Surname "Simon"

In the case the list would be called "mangers of users with Simon as their surname" and contain the contact details of Tony and Sara (not user B and C)

Any ideas.

PS this is not the exact reason for the list as we use a user account for department and group contacts. So I am actually trying to pull back all "group leaders" who are set as managers for each set of departments in the company.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've worked a few dynamic lists using custom attributes, but they are all in an O365/Exchange online environment that's not really tied to our AD. This seems a little complex based on what I've seen. You might be better off using powershell to make this happen. What's your desired output look like? Just a list of names for each department? And does all the info you'd need live in AD?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi,

OK so here is a filter using get-aduser

Get-ADUser -filter {employeetype -like "Group"} -Properties * | select Manager}

This returns a list of all the managers of any users that have the employeetype of "Group"

So this is the list I want as a dynamic Distribution List.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.