Options

What would an employer think of...

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
What would a future employee think of someone who worked full time in a computer security role and studied a masters degree in their own time, but didn't get distinction?

The reason I ask, is because i'm working full time and have took on a MSc degree. I have absolutely no doubt that i'd achieve a distinction if I was studying the MSc without working full time, but due to financial constraints, I cannot afford to leave my job to pursue the MSc. The MSc requires around 20 hours per week and I work 37 hours a week and have a 2 hour drive (10 hours weekly) so i'm currently doing a 67 hour week.. icon_sad.gif

Is it still good having a masters if it's not a distinction? I just know i'll feel a bit crappy that i've not achieved the best I can do.

Will an employer still appreciate the sheer time i've put into this?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excuse the ignorance, do you mean finishing with honors? Sorry, less common term in the US.
  • Options
    No problem. I'm not familiar with US terms, but in the UK, we have the following MSc levels: 50% for a pass, 60% for a merit and 70% for a distinction. Of course, distinction is what everyone would like, but not everyone gets. I genuinely believe I am capable of a distinction because the material isn't overly difficult, but it's time consuming and due to working, I don't have the time it'd take to reach an overall grade of 70%.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    In response to both this thread, and the similar one complaining about work and school, I gotta go with 'suck it up, buttercup.'

Plenty of us do work and school full time without complaint. If the grind is too much for you, try to mitigate the impact. Consider moving closer to work. Do school during lunch break. If you can't hack it, quit one or the other, but don't look for sympathy on grades - you get out what you put in.

That said, if you already have industry experience, very few employers will care what your grades were. Most of them don't even care what school you went to.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

That's a fair point but not too many people do the amount of work that i'm currently doing. I've done a few certs in my own personal time - and that has been fine - certs aren't as demanding as MSc's. I think that's the crux of the issue - the course is the exact same pace as if I was physically taught on-site. It's not ideal! But you're right, i'll have to get on with it :)
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't know much about the UK job market, but in the US I have never seen an employer ask for your grade on a Masters degree. Honestly at the point I'm at experience is the key, the Masters degree is for my own gratification and to try and set myself ahead of my peers a bit. Having one isn't going to hold you back just because your grades were slightly lower than you wanted. For comparison in the US most schools use a 4 point grading scale and you have to maintain a 3.0 (75%) just to graduate, 3.5 (87.5%) is considered the average and at least in my school you have to do a ton of excess work to get above this, and of course a 4.0 is what everyone wants but it rarely happens.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    Ditto this. I have applied to many, many jobs and only a handful requested a GPA (Grade Point Average). As long as you had a degree in a related field then it was kosher.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    That's good to hear. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think a employer might think more of the person if they graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.9 GPA) or Magna Cum Laude (3.7)

I would put that on a resume if I did...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As the others mentioned, in the US we'd call a 70% just barely passing. Most companies don't ask what your grades were here, might be different for your location.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ive lived in both countries and i was shocked when i migrated to the UK and i was job hunting and recruiters kept asking me what my grades were.. I was like WTF ive been in IT for 11 years at that time why does it matter what my grades were back in high school and university.. but here in UK grades are a big deal if youve F'ed up in high school there isnt much of a future for you. some companies wont even invite you for an interview if your grades aren't equivalent to an A.
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Si,

Honestly I wouldn't sweat it, do your best and whatever happens an MSc looks good on your CV particularly when you studied for it around working full time. For what it is worth, I got a good degree and MSc here in the UK- though they weren't related to IT. They have both opened doors and been great talking points at interview even for IT roles. No one has ever asked for the actual grades for what it is worth, so even if you didn't do as well as expected I couldn't see it hurting your future prospects in any way.

As others have mentioned above, if you could cut down driving time that opens up extra study time, that along with learning stuff on your lunch break if you have the time/inclination.

My experience has been the opposite to dustervoice, the more qualifications you get here the less they bother checking grades as it's based on your latest degree/certs along with experience.

Good luck man!
  • Options
    Thanks Chev, much appreciated! I feel much more relieved after reading these kind of posts. I'm going to see if I can find a job that's closer to home whilst i'm studying. I think that'll make things a bit less stressful.
  • Options
    No worries Si, where are you in the UK out of interest? I imagine there are plenty of computer security roles about anyway wherever you may be.

Are you doing the MSc distance learning or evenings? Maybe some jobs will give you time out for it if it benefits them too?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @=Danielm7

Actually, in a graduate course, we'd call it failing.
  • Options
    @=Chev Chellios

I'm based in the north west. I do the distance learning material in the evening and weekends. It's very tough doing a full time job and a course, I do regret it, but I know that when it's done, i'll be glad to have the MSc title next to my name.

Just whilst we're on the subject, some of the guys from the US are saying that a 70% would be a fail for them - if you were to take our exams, you'd see that getting 70% is no joke - getting a percentage that high shows you're very good at your subject. I think it just depends what education system you're in. I don't fully understand the US system personally, because i'm from the UK.
  • Options
    Cool, the job market up there seems decent. I'm in the midlands so not far, got some mates up in Manchester. Just keep plugging away man and you will smash that MSc- you wont know what to do with your spare time when it is all over, haha.

Agree with you on grading system- it must be much tougher over here in terms of overall grades and percentages. The only time I've ever seen 70% be a fail is a lot of the cert exams and then the percentages are all randomly generated from differently weighted questions depending which way the wind is blowing in Microsoft/Cisco/othervendor land
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    si20 wrote: »
    That's a fair point but not too many people do the amount of work that i'm currently doing.

That's a pretty big blanket statement. While the 2hr commute must suck, I don't know anyone in the IT Industry in the US that gets away with working 37hrs a week. While I am sure there are some, most of us work closer to 45-50hrs+ (and on salary, not hourly). The weeks I am on-call, I have many times where I put in a 60+ hr work week with the issues that occur. I am also full-time enrolled in college for my BS as well. Since August 1st, I have completed 24CU of classes, and am 2 tests away from finishing another 6CU. So, I would be willing to bet most people are in your shoes when it comes to working full time in IT and going to school full-time.

The US grade system is typically based out of 0-100% score. A high passing score being typically a 90% plus. The UK scores seem odd that 70% would be a great score. Does that still mean you knew 70% of what was on the test? If so, that is where we are wondering why 70% is passing with flying colors. If I knew only 50% of what was on a test I would be highly disappointed.