GCIA training this week - planning study

MacNobodyMacNobody Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I am a long time lurker, I work in a security operations center as an intrusion analyst.

My employer is putting me through the training this week and paying for the exam. I will be hanging around here soaking up the knowledge and trying to figure out my index.

Just wanted to say hey and that I welcome all tips! :)

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck in your studies! I took the course with Mike Poor in Virginia Beach back in August and I'm studying for the exam now. It's definitely a course where you have to practice and know how to do what the material teaches rather than just remember the material like some of the other courses. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 is right. Go through the workbook exercises and know how to do the tasks, not just make a strong index so you can look up answers. Know bro and snort rules. Know Silk and such. These are in the exercises. You can read up on my experiences on the GCIA here: Tackling the GCIA

I've said it before to other members here on TE that I will share my prep materials that are only publicly available; this does not include my GCIA index, nor any SANS material. What I offer is a little rar of a hex/bin/dec chart, header charts, and a few other things. Again this is stuff you can find on the search engine of your choice. If you take me up on the offer, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll see about sending you the file.