Options

How to dress at a start up?

When I went in, I saw people wearing all different things. The lawyer was wearing a flannel and jeans. Most people in t shirts and jeans/sweatshirts. I don't want to be 100 percent unprofessional though. I was thinking something like;

- Button down with the sleeves rolled up.
- Sweaters.
- Nice jeans.
- Dress shoes.
- Clean shaven.

Sound decent?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd stick to business casual. At my work we can wear whatever we want but I still wear a collared shirt and jeans or khakis.
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Levi 505's and v necks all day/every day whenever possible. Flip flops (weather permitting).

If they don't require a certain level of dress I prefer to dress as comfortable as possible :) I would say take advantage of it while you can.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is all relative to the company culture and the role. I worked for a startup-type company and you saw everything from cargo shorts and "EPIC FAIL" t-shirts all the way up to business suits. Wear whatever makes you comfortable and doesn't make you look out of place with your peers.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're ever exposed to public or non-IT employees I've been told to dress just a little above your colleagues at the same respective level. It often makes a good impression and you'll become more of the go to guy as long as you have the abilities and personality. If they wear jeans and tshirts, maybe go with polos and khakis. If they wear polos, go for button downs. One thing you don't want to do is regularly dress above the levels above you unless it's a special occasion.

Have you ever noticed that management and up are usually dressed a little nicer than the employees they manage? I know it's kind of silly to have levels of dress within a company but it's reality most places. If you are lucky enough to have management that wears comfort all the time, go ahead and do the same thing, it makes you fit in.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This is all relative to the company culture and the role. I worked for a startup-type company and you saw everything from cargo shorts and "EPIC FAIL" t-shirts all the way up to business suits. Wear whatever makes you comfortable and doesn't make you look out of place with your peers.

+1 - you always want to "fit in", but you also need to look polished.

I live by, "Dress for the job you want and not the job you have".
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depends on the company culture...at my job, its straight casual. I rock jeans/khakis/chinos, polos/casual button up and kicks most days, and then sometimes i'm in dress pants, dress shirt, and oxfords...i've also worn shorts & t-shirts here. just depends on what i feel like wearing for the day, and the weather outside. No one has thought any less of my abilities to do my job because of what I wear.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Probably jeans and a hoodie every day.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @systemstech - I don't really think there is a one-size-fits-all. Depending on your role and the type of company, there are different cultural norms when it comes to dress-code at companies. The good news is that dress codes have relaxed a lot over the past few decades.

Having worked at large companies and startups, I definitely prefer startup culture icon_smile.gif

What you described sounds very appropriate for most technology startups, especially for your role.

I do believe that there is such as thing as being over-dressed for work - especially at technology startups. I am always a little skeptical about people that over-dress past the norms in a startup.

Whenever I consider what I wear at work - I always take into account several factors including but not limited to:
    1) the office surroundings - for example - if a startup office is a beat-up office with used furniture, I'm going to dress down.
    2) are customers typically visiting the offices - in this case - I will dress-up.
    3) the weather - on hot days - I may even consider wearing shorts depending on #1 and #2.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Tech start up culture is a little different than what most are used to. Jeans, tshirt, etc. are the norm. Even for the C levels. You'll probably feel quite out of place dressing much nicer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    We have a policy for business casual (no jeans) Monday - Thursday, then it is jean Friday. I love jean Friday.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the replies everyone!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I live by, "Dress for the job you want and not the job you have".

EXACTLY!

I was going to say this same thing...read the litany of posts and you beat me to it! Good on you!

Dress for where you WANT TO GO!

Want to be treated with respect (particularly when young or young looking) dress for success. Want to be treated like a punk...dress like a punk.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I rock jeans and a hoodie when working from home, but have a collared shirt in arms reach for any video conferencing.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jeans and a hoodie every day (MSP pseudo-startup environment)