Options

Did I back myself into a corner?- Salary

shawn488shawn488 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got a cold call from a recruiter the other day. He asked my salary range and I stated 95-105k. Towards the tail end of the conversation he stated that the job would be 50 hours a week. Of course if I would have known this before my range would have been higher. I found the posting online and they're willing to go up to 120. We are still very early in the process but did I screw myself in the beginning with my range or can I use that I wasn't aware of the hours when initially asked. How would you guys handle this?

Comments

• Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nah, I don't think so. It's all about ROI so maybe stating a lower salary might have kept you on the playing field. Later on, they'll probably ask about your range again and then you can readjust based on 50 hr work weeks/online listing of 120k. If they like you, you'll get that 120k since they allocated that amount for their quarterly hiring budget.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Try not to sound greedy. I accepted my job and had initially gave them a range, when they sent the offer I countered with the high end of my range which they accepted. Countering with an amount higher than you initially stated in your range might make you sound greedy and cause them to move on. 50 hours a week isn't bad, technically i only have to work 40 hours a week, but if you saw my workload you would see that's impossible, i've put in close to 50 this week already.