Options

Flying to Location for Interview

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey,

Wondering has anyone ever flown to a different state for an interview and took off from work to do so. I guess the only issue is if you had enough disposable income to do such a thing without it breaking your back, however at some point, wouldn't a 700.00 (Flight, rental, hotel) interview be kind of a huge commitment, understandably it would be up to the person, and if it was worth it to them.

I guess that's just the price you pay when trying to find work in a different state... I guess the better questions was, how did it turn out, was it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What level of position is it for? Typically the company should be covering all travel expenses if they're flying you in for an interview, but that isn't always the case. I flew halfway across the country for an interview once, but it coincided with a visit I had previously planned to the location - I did not need to pay for transportation or housing. I lucked out and got that job to solidify my permanent move out here. Under different circumstances (like flying out for interview and flying back same/next day + possible rental and hotel costs, etc...) I don't think I'd ever do it completely out of pocket.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I don't think i'd do it out of pocket either, thats major costs for a jobseeker unless it was some executive type gig. Also keep in mind that unfortunately being flown out doesn't guarantee you're a shoe-in. Amazon routinely flies out interviewees who ultimately don't make the cut (as seen on glass door).
  • Options
    @jamhat & @emerald_octane
    Good information... It would be a Senior level Application Engineer position around 6 figures in a location that I am planning to relocate to.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Heck no, is you are at a higher level and they want you they will fly you on their dime. I paid for my own travel expenses when I was doing desktop support but there's no chance I would do it know.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @jamhat & @emerald_octane
    Good information... It would be a Senior level Application Engineer position around 6 figures in a location that I am planning to relocate to.

They should definitely be covering all costs associated with your trip for a position like this. Have you asked the recruiter or whoever you're working with to confirm?? If it's a position you're really interested, then as you said it's up to the individual to see if it's worth it or not. Even then I would push hard for an initial skype or phone interview beforehand to see if it'd even be a good fit.
  • Options
    @jamthat
    I've had a few phone screenings and was presented to the hiring manager today... my recruiter and the account manager feel I am the strongest candidate they have. Figured I would do some preliminary information gathering on flying in for an interview as if it was presented (flying out to interview) I would like to know what was a feasible option or not.

I am supposed to hear back this afternoon about what the next steps are and how they will proceed. I am definitely more inclined to ask for a Skype interview before hand, as I would like more of a certainty that they were really interested in me before flying out regardless if they were going to pay for it or not.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've done it quite a few times, but never paid out of pocket. Are they not willing to foot the bill?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Isn't it customary for them to at least pay for the flight?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184
    blargoe

Ah, that's good to hear. I haven't been told what's the plan yet or if they wanted to. I was just wondering, and since I am doing an aggressive inter-state search, I was figuring Id get some consensus and opinions here as things start to move pretty quickly, and I want to be prepared for what or wouldn't be a good next step for me to commit to beforehand.

Everyone's comments have definitely made me realize that if they are not going to offer to fly me out (Especially with how much I was told was their IT budget and how important bringing the right team on,) that it may not be worth the engagement if they wanted me to pay on my on dime without out any "guarantee"
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I flew 2500 miles for my interview. The company paid for the flight and the hotel(which was owned by them). Your potential employer should pay for the flight at a minimum. And they should offer a relo package that covers at least the moving company cost
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Chitownjedi - Not all employers are willing to pay for relo unless they are located in an area which lacks certain talent. A full relo package can be very expensive. In the past, if I'm not willing to fund a relo package, if there was a candidate which willing to move on their own as you have indicated, it would be customary to at least fund the onsite interview. Given that it's a role in the six figure range, it would be unusual if they wouldn't be willing to at least fund the flight since it's likely less than 1% of the annual compensation.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Agree with what everyone else has been saying. I flew from NY to Seattle for an interview once (did there and back same day) and the company covered parking at the airport, flight, and all meals for the day. If they aren't willing to do that I would move on as it could be an indication of the IT department/business being cheap. It doesn't sound like that is the case though.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd say Go for it. ! How they treat you during the early stages gives you an indication of what the job will be like
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last month I flew about 700 miles (NE Texas to St Louis) for a job interview. I flew in at 1:30pm, immediately drove to the interview that was scheduled at 4pm, and then flew home the next day.

I paid for it out of pocket (~$180 for flight, $55 for hotel, and ~$55 for car), so it cost me about $300 in total. Granted, they were willing to work with me by letting me choose a flight that was a week away so that I could get a better price.

The interview went well, and I ended up with this being my first job after graduating college making a little over 50k/yr. In the end, it's up to you to decide whether it is worth it or not.
  • Options
    xeruan wrote: »
    Last month I flew about 700 miles (NE Texas to St Louis) for a job interview. I flew in at 1:30pm, immediately drove to the interview that was scheduled at 4pm, and then flew home the next day.

I paid for it out of pocket (~$180 for flight, $55 for hotel, and ~$55 for car), so it cost me about $300 in total. Granted, they were willing to work with my by letting me choose a flight that was a week away so that I could get a better price.

The interview went well, and I ended up with this being my first job after graduating college making a little over 50k/yr. In the end, it's up to you to decide whether it is worth it or not.

Congrats on landing that!
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I was flown out for an interview. I paid upfront but they reimbursed me within a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    A reputable company will pay round trip to fly you in for an interview. They usually will pay for a hotel and pay to fly you back home as well.

I would not spend over $50 of my own money to do an interview.

You would be stupid to spend $700 of your own money to go interview. If they do not want to do it, they are cheap and most likely not worth the time.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i think it depends on what level of employee you are, if you a mid-50s level, probably a toss up...

but if you are in 6 figures or close to it, the company should be paying for the flight, hotel, and relocation costs
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Worst comes to worst, job hunt expenses (including travel) may be tax deductible. So you can save some money there at least
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    recruiter is suppose to pay for the flight. if they don't, then you shouldn't bother.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They should definitely pay for the trip at that type of job (and living in a hub city). If they won't pay for it, move on to the next interview. Best of luck either way
  • Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    We flew two people. One guy flew in Sunday and Monday was his interview. Hotel was paid for. One guy was within the same state so no hotel needed. Normally, if they can't find local guys they would eventually be open for candidates that are from other states. If they really like you then they'll ask you to come in for a face to face interview. They would normally pay for everything.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've flown for a couple of interviews.
    One for Amazon from DC to Seattle, and another for Microsoft from DC to NC.
    Both times the company paid for everything, and both times I declined the offer.