Options

How to ask for a raise?

missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
How long in a role should you ask for a raise? What way do you approach asking for a raise? How long should you say in a desktop support role if its not your end goal as opposed to tech support?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What kind of company? Are you talking promotion and raise or just raise?

I assume this is a company that does not give annual raises. It probably doesn't hurt to ask every year...but once you get to two years without a raise that is rough. Ask your boss and express you want to advance your career...see if there are other things you can help with.

If desktop support is not your end goal, I would assume you would want to move out ASAP. Always keep learning new things, get more certs, more education....that way you will keep gaining desirable skills/knowledge and can move easier. Each situation is different because of many factors...willingness to move, salary demand, education, certifications, experience. I would imagine if you were ground zero with no experience you could find yourself in that role for 3-5 years but again everything varies.
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you could ask some colleagues if raises are given. If you find out that there are no raises you could work up to another year then start looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why do you think you deserve a raise?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Expanding on this ^^^. What value do you add above and beyond the value you added when you initialy started receiving compensation?
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You don't ask for a raise--you make a case of why you should be paid more.

At the same time, get ready for an exit strategy. If you're underpaid, it's likely you will only get a nominal raise and you will still be undervalued. YMMV.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As others have stated, an important concept with asking for a raise is not asking for it. You are more likely to have success if you can validate the request by making a case for yourself. Simply time in the seat is not enough to garner an additional pay raise in most cases.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    piggybacking on this thread...

How many of you have actually gotten a raise that isn't just on the yearly cycle of raises? Not a promotion, or a title change or whatever...

Working same job, ask for a raise, and get a raise.

thinking back, i've never had this scenario. I have gotten a raise going from a contractor to perm, I have gotten a raise getting a promotion or a title change, and I have gotten the standard yearly raise...

however, I have never went to a boss and said, I want more money for this same job. It always has been, move me to this position or that position, etc
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No hard rule.. ask for a raise when you know you deserve it.. that can be 1 min, 1 day ,1 month or 1 year. A friend of mine got a raise his second day on the job! Personally ive never asked for a raise i seek new opportunities elsewhere as i cant bother with lengthy debates. A manager should see my worth/value and reward me accordingly.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First off, get some average numbers for your role to see if you actually are underpaid. Google can help:

Global Knowledge 2015 IT Skills & Salary Report
    IT Pro 2015 IT Skills & Salary Report
    RHT IT Salary Salaries Guide 2016

Where are you in those lists?

You'll need to say why you're doing more in quantity and more in quality now than you were when you were hired. This will help show how your salary isn't keeping pace with the demands of the job or the increased benefit you're delivering to the business now than a few years ago. Prove that you aren't asking for a raise, you're asking that your salary reflect the going rate for the role you're actually now in and to hire someone outside to do the same thing this is what they'd have to pay. Leads to.....

Best way to make your case is get a job offer somewhere else. Then they either have to give you a raise or let you go. If you go that route, just be prepared to either take that new job or eat some humble pie if they say no and you still decide to stay.

Caution - I know some really nasty employers that will just fire you outright if they know you're looking, so this may backfire depending on your particulars. Hope you aren't working somewhere like this, that would be an ugly work environment.
  • Options
    davefrancodavefranco Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with other members suggestion. First check if you are underpaid. You can search average salary for your title on salary.com . Make sure you have proper explanation why you deserve raise.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are some other threads if you search for them that can help. In general, it all depends on your manager to how you approach asking for one.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!