Options

CCNA Security Progress Thread

Comments

• Options
    sidninjasidninja Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    noahp34 wrote: »
    So I ended up moving the test up today and I passed! The test was easier than I thought it would be. I had two sims, one was straight forward but like others have reported, it seems like the other configuration one is busted. Im 99% I did it correctly but I couldn't get it to ping correctly. I spent 20 mins trying to get it to work.

Anyway, the Boson test is very similar to the real thing. If you understand all the answers and read all the explanations you will pass. Also, the Cisco training course is definitely sufficient and the sims in it are great it's just really pricey.

when you mention cisco training course, can you clarify what you mean? as in a bootcamp? icon_smile.gif
    Always keep learning and have a positive attitude - never be rude or insulting and you will be blessed.
    Have faith in God and you can't go wrong.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn if you want - https://www.linkedin.com/in/sidbloodsaw/
    :cool:
  • Options
    greeneon wrote: »

The question is for @noahp34 or anyone who has actually used these resources. Is the Cisco e-learning course Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 and the books CCNA Security Course Booklet Version 2 and CCNA Security Lab Manual Version 2 enough study material needed for passing the 210-260 exam? Just looking to get what I need and nothing more.

i am going on a bootcamp and it turns out it will be Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 and so If that is what you need + i have cbt nuggets + chris bryant, and i will do labs as well and I have kit at work i can use, i am looking forward to this. please follow me on my own topic where i cover my journey for the CCNA Security :)
    Always keep learning and have a positive attitude - never be rude or insulting and you will be blessed.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn if you want - https://www.linkedin.com/in/sidbloodsaw/
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    The other option(if you can get your company to pay for it) is to take the Cisco course through a partner like Global Knowledge. They have their own course and lab manuals not found anywhere else.

IINS Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security 3.0 at Global Knowledge
    that is what i am going to be using :)
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright, so I finished up all the other classes on my degree. Time to come back to this and go for a third attempt icon_lol.gif.

I probably won't be posting in this until after I pass this time, but I'm curious if any new study materials have come out since 02/01/2016? I'm going to buy the Cisco learning program, Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 that everyone recommends. But, I was curious if maybe there's better books out now or anything like that as well?

Apparently CCNA Security (210-260) Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition) is fairly new. I just got a copy of that and I've only glanced through it, but it seems to be a lot more to the point than the OCG. It kind of just looks like a giant book of study notes.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    greeneongreeneon Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the 210-260 exam on Friday and passed with a score of 980/1000. I had purchased the Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 course and went through all 20 modules in order to prep for the test. I can truly say that it was a great investment and all that one needs to successfully pass the exam.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I was wondering. That's an amazing score btw. Good job!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    greeneon wrote: »
    I took the 210-260 exam on Friday and passed with a score of 980/1000. I had purchased the Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 course and went through all 20 modules in order to prep for the test. I can truly say that it was a great investment and all that one needs to successfully pass the exam.

I'm using that material as well now. How did you get labs as they are hard to come by haha.

I need to know your strategy methods (everything you did and used) because I got my exam very soon :)
  • Options
    sidninja wrote: »
    I'm using that material as well now. How did you get labs as they are hard to come by haha.

I need to know your strategy methods (everything you did and used) because I got my exam very soon :)

what i mean by that is that i did the course via global knowledge and the labs are no longer available as they were only there for the week, but i got the book it came with and there is a 31 days before the 210-260 book, which feels like a condensed version of it; problem is, that book doesnt come out til June and Chris Bryant cant refresh the course til early May!

so @greeneon, what was your strategy and materials used in total?

how long did you study for and how hard was it?
  • Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know of any other books coming out for this subject?

Thread has been a good read thus far, starting my studies this week.
  • Options
    This ones probably a little too far out to be useful. But on July 1st this will be available:

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Before-Your-CCNA-Security/dp/1587205785/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461067155&sr=8-3&keywords=210-260

No idea whether it's going to be any good or not though.

I can say however that I am thoroughly enjoying Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0. Having only just started on it, I can already tell it is going to help immensely. In the first 10 pages it's already covered some subjects that were on the exam, but were completely absent from the official course guide book. The explanations and diagrams are a lot easier to understand and overall I'm pretty excited about it. It is expensive though O_O ($350).
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    This ones probably a little too far out to be useful. But on July 1st this will be available:

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Before-Your-CCNA-Security/dp/1587205785/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461067155&sr=8-3&keywords=210-260

No idea whether it's going to be any good or not though. - it is amazing from what i was able to read from it! i read everything up to the parts that in dev! however, i realized that the book is a abridged version of the book you get in the IINS course! which made me laugh! icon_lol.gif

I can say however that I am thoroughly enjoying Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0. Having only just started on it, I can already tell it is going to help immensely. In the first 10 pages it's already covered some subjects that were on the exam, but were completely absent from the official course guide book. The explanations and diagrams are a lot easier to understand and overall I'm pretty excited about it. It is expensive though O_O ($350).
    - it is but it is worth it. however, note that the labs you can only do while on the course and that is it.

gonna look to take the test next friday!
  • Options
    however, i realized that the book is a abridged version of the book you get in the IINS course! which made me laugh! icon_lol.gif

Lol wow... That is pretty ridiculous. Good luck on your attempt, hope you do well :)
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm trying different resources.

One good tip for people is to use the free trial of safari books online for the books like the ones listed and also for the 640 one as it fills in gaps
  • Options
    also, one book that everyone needs to check out on SFO is CCNA 210-260 portable guide - it is very good - also i will be providing my own study guide that is condensed from all the material i have come across - i will make it public on google docs after i take the test..

it is getting bigger and bigger, but i feel its very necessary as it is going by the blueprint and covers EVERY topic.
  • Options
    The one good thing I have going for me is that I have until the end of the summer so I am sure some new material will come up. Ill have to talk to my boss about the Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 course.
  • Options
    Good luck sidninja!
  • Options
    Jamm1n wrote: »
    Good luck sidninja!

• Options
    sidninja
    There are labs within each of the module lessons of the Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 course. I never trusted ****. But, I did use some examples found in them as a strategy for feeling comfortable with working the configuration and testing of the ADSM simulation portion of the exam. You can take the info from any **** relating the ADSM sim and apply it to the F/W labs found within the course. I was confident in knowing the practical info, but was nervous about sim questions requiring that a certain action be performed on the F/W or in viewing a certain VPN config or status using the ADSM. I just used the labs in the course to practice my navigation around the ADSM. Just know how to setup NAT/VPN types/ and F/W when using the ADSM you should do well.

Here is the course
    https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning/implementing-cisco-network-security-iins-v3-0-elt-iins-v3-0-019451
  • Options
    I did the exact course you did via global knowledge so I know what you're talking about - did your course also have thn use of the labs for the duration of the course only??

I'll take what you said into my strategy as well.

Getting labs outside of the course is next to impossible.

Thanks bro! I'll be taking my exam next Friday.
  • Options
    I've got to say I'm totally gushing over this Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 (ELT-IINS-V3.0-019451) course. This might be the best interactive online learning I've taken for any subject. It's really that good. I'm actually surprised how good it is given the fact that this new exam hasn't even been out but for a few months.

Content is well explained and thorough without being overly complex. Although there is quite a LOT of it. I'm curious how much of this I'll still remember when I circle back to study once I've gone through everything.

Also, the platform itself is top notch. There's so many nice little things, like being allowed to navigate away from a lab while it loads and then have it pop a notification that your "lab is ready" along with a link. The ability to leave tests/exams/content midway through and return where you left off with no issues. An easily accessible feedback bar with near instant response times from their support team. Just really good overall.
  • Options
    Just note that the labs are only available for the week that you do it - I believe that's the case for online courses as well? Otherwise that's unfair to those who took it in person lol
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I've got to say I'm totally gushing over this Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 (ELT-IINS-V3.0-019451) course. This might be the best interactive online learning I've taken for any subject. It's really that good. I'm actually surprised how good it is given the fact that this new exam hasn't even been out but for a few months.

Content is well explained and thorough without being overly complex. Although there is quite a LOT of it. I'm curious how much of this I'll still remember when I circle back to study once I've gone through everything.

Also, the platform itself is top notch. There's so many nice little things, like being allowed to navigate away from a lab while it loads and then have it pop a notification that your "lab is ready" along with a link. The ability to leave tests/exams/content midway through and return where you left off with no issues. An easily accessible feedback bar with near instant response times from their support team. Just really good overall.

Is that the $350 course? I'm thinking of picking it up before I take 210-260 next month.
  • Options
    Just note that the labs are only available for the week that you do it - I believe that's the case for online courses as well? Otherwise that's unfair to those who took it in person lol

With all due respect, but access to all materials (labs & everything) for the online course from Cisco lasts 1 full year.

Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0
    Part#: ELT-IINS-V3.0-019451
    Product Line: Cisco On Demand E-Learning
    Subscription Duration: 365 days
  • Options
    Is that the $350 course? I'm thinking of picking it up before I take 210-260 next month.

Yep that's the one. It can be found here:

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning/implementing-cisco-network-security-iins-v3-0-elt-iins-v3-0-019451

I think you may have something slightly different than me. I spoke w/ Cisco support about this and they said:

"Cisco Learning Labs has a time-based subscription for the labs, but these are not Cisco Learning Labs. In these eLT courses, labs are available for as long as the course subscription……unlimited time, unlimited access for the duration of the subscription."
  • Options
    man that sucks for me - i need those labs and my company wont pay for the same thing again - and there isn't a way to get the labs on their own...
  • Options
    aderon, is it possible for one person to give access to the material after being done with it, but not illegally?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    sidninja, I'm sure that's against the terms of use. $350 (plus they usually have 10% discount available) is not that much to spend to invest in yourself. If the labs are that important then it is a small amount to spend to have access to a bunch of labs that will prepare you for the exam.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not comfortable with giving access to the course. But, I would highly recommend it so far.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not comfortable with giving access to the course. But, I would highly recommend it so far.

Glad it is working well for you and that the labs are available all the time. I guess I know what I am doing this summer :)
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    If you work in DOD, you may be able to get your employee to share in the cost of the e-learning course. I believe CCNA Security will be enough to renew your CompTIA Security+.