Options

70-410 LAB Setup

Hello techies,

I was using my home lab to study for the 410 and i was remoting in from work but now i cant do that so i want to setup up a server @ work but i want to install AD and DHCP again to get more practice however the issue is that its in a production environment and i dont want to create a disaster.. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can setup my LAB without interfering with the rest of the network. THX

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This sounds like a really stupid idea with the potential to screw up your production network if you are having to ask people on the internet without knowledge of your network.

Stick to your homelab or Microsoft's free online labs https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Add a soho router and put your lab on an entirely different subnet. Setup the router in dhcp mode on the wan side so when you connect it, the router will get an ip from your network. However on the lan side you should disable dhcp and have the server hand out a dhcp address to the rest of the lan ports. I would recommend adding a switch behind the soho router as well.

Also do not join the server to the local domain network.
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not only is that something that could cause SERIOUS issues for your company, its probably something that you could get fired over. I would certainly not do any of that without permission.

DHCP by itself could really break things as you would be issuing IPs on your subnet to any computers that respond. If the wrong computer grabs that they get your IP and cannot connect to company resources. Active Directory/DNS won't necessarily cause problems outright but could potentially if the naming contexts are wrong or if any of the stuff moving across the wire slows down the network.

Again you have consider it from your company's perspective, if you do this and you cause an outage, they will likely send you packing. Furthermore, company's tend to be audited for security and compliance. Rogue DCs, DNS, DHCP, etc will show on those audits and could cause your company to lose accreditation or even be fined - again two things they would put on your head and send you home.

When at work: do work. If they blocked your remoting to your home computer they probably had reasons. You should talk with your boss and see if they have a lab environment you could play in or if they can open up your remote access to home again. If neither of those are options, stick to labbing at home and virtual labs.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    Im sure i have read a while back that someone had this and they where using a private or internal virtual switch and the VMs did not go outside the host environment.. I know what is being done in my network "IbrokeIT" and i dont think its stupid witch is y i am basically getting consulted by this community
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Ed,

You should keep your test network and production separated and isolated. I recommend seeing the sticky http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources-2.html I have a video which explains how to create a VM environment with VMware Workstation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3vXlo2q7M. If you follow the guide you'll have the best testing environment ever! Make sure you buy an SSD to make the installs go fast! Hope that helps.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    AdrianITAdrianIT Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IF you absolutely need to and have permission i would go down the VMWare Workstation route. I did this when i was preparing for my 70-640. Dosen't require additional hardware. If you PC can handle it and you have a license, why not? ...as long as you are 'sensible' and keep the VMs separate from your production network you should be fine.
    \\2015: [x]ITIL [x]Become a dad [x]Move out my parents house! :)
    \\2016: [ ]70-410 [ ]70-411 [ ]70-412 [ ]Sec+ [ ]CISSP