Options

Boss found out im looking for a new job, not too worries but wanted some feedback

xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
Hello TE community,
I've recently been having quite a few phone conversation/interviews with potential employers and recruiters. It seems like my boss has gotten wind of it and confronted me about it. I explained my issues and what im looking for in my career. I have explained this to him before but there really isnt much that can be done to get me the experience that I need to get to the next level professionally here.

After having a good one on one with him. I think there arent any hard feelings but he did tell me to be patient and that opportunities will always be available but at this point I have my VCP and getting my CCNA in the next few weeks (already have ccent). I havnt been able to really use any of what im learning in my current capactiy. I do get thrown a bone one every 1.5 months ish but im starting to forget almost everything and now Im going through my VCP book again to catch up on everything.

I've been in this company for 1.4 years and I have learned a lot. But im in a position where things need to break for me to fix and there has to be no higher level engineers available , or a new position needs to be available.

I was told to be patient because things will pick up and their will always be a need for your skillset. I enjoy my job but just cant keep studying and learning and being expected to continue to learn if I dont get the experience for what im learning. Im more of the reserve engineer just in case there's an overload of issues.

I have had quite a few interviews already and looking around and have found a few places that will give me what I want with a decent raise as well. But i feel like i havnt given this place a shot and I dont want to be a job hopper.

Has anyone had a similar experience they can share and how it was approached?

Thank you all.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1.4 years is long enough in my opinion. I've at my current job for about a year and a half and I am probably going to start looking/applying to other places soon. No room for growth and like you, not being able to use the knowledge I'm learning. My boss has told me in the past they expect to expand the department and give me a promotion. But that was like 7 months ago... And don't see anything changing anytime soon.

It's nothing personal, just business, and you have a valid reason for leaving your current position. I wouldn't worry about being classified as a job hopper.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    'tis life. People want to grow and evolve. I'd say look and be happy that you're at a crossroads where the next few months will decide a significant portion of the rest of your life. Just make sure you don't accept the first thing to come along to give you something new. Make sure whatever direction you take you can see far enough down the road that more forks and options are on the horizon and you don't end up stuck on the one-lane path you're currently in.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I view employment strictly as a contract. Really no sentimental obligations. You must always look out for #1, which is yourself, because NO one else will do it for you.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for the feedback, I have a lot of really good opportunities that came up soon after obtaining my VCP, if my current doesnt not meed my needs, its not personal but I would need to find a place where I can grow.

Thanks again TE members for your support.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah XOCity, look out for you first. If you really like it there, like the people you work with, then be choosy about where you go next, but nothing wrong with putting your feelers out.

When I first got into the industry I was green and took a cut in pay to get my first IT job, and within two years I had a number of certs under my belt, two AAS degrees in IT, a BA degree. We had a program where if we earned MCSE I was supposed to get what at that time would have been an 8 or 10% raise, although I was doing Desktop Support/Breakfix/Network Tech work, but after a year and a half when I earned the MCSE the bigwigs of this national company told me "Oh sorry, you're not a Server Admin, only Desktop, so we won't give you the raise." I should note that BEFORE I took the final test for MCSE I had to get approval to proceed from upper management, and they didn't tell me this at that time. So, after they told me "no raise", I started looking. In a short time I found a job making about 25% more, ironically the hiring manager told me he was impressed with my certifications, showing I was willing to keep learning. When I went back to my team manager and gave two weeks, within a day he was telling me that NOW the bigwigs wanted to give me the pay increase of 10%. I told him even if it were 30% I wouldn't stay after getting screwed the first time. I liked the guys I worked with, but I knew I wanted to grow my skills and my pay.

My last job I was there 8 years. There were always promises of more pay (although I was paid competitively one always likes more as one's skills grow), more potential for promotions, etc. It was always my manager blowing smoke. He'd tell you, "If you do such and such you'll get promoted", and you'd do such and such, get my manager's praises, and then he'd open a position outside the company for the higher level admin position to bring in an outsider who you'd be training on the environment there. Never trust a manager giving you promises. If they want to keep you, then they need to show you.

Always look out for numero uno.
  • Options
    Yeah XOCity, look out for you first. If you really like it there, like the people you work with, then be choosy about where you go next, but nothing wrong with putting your feelers out.

When I first got into the industry I was green and took a cut in pay to get my first IT job, and within two years I had a number of certs under my belt, two AAS degrees in IT, a BA degree. We had a program where if we earned MCSE I was supposed to get what at that time would have been an 8 or 10% raise, although I was doing Desktop Support/Breakfix/Network Tech work, but after a year and a half when I earned the MCSE the bigwigs of this national company told me "Oh sorry, you're not a Server Admin, only Desktop, so we won't give you the raise." I should note that BEFORE I took the final test for MCSE I had to get approval to proceed from upper management, and they didn't tell me this at that time. So, after they told me "no raise", I started looking. In a short time I found a job making about 25% more, ironically the hiring manager told me he was impressed with my certifications, showing I was willing to keep learning. When I went back to my team manager and gave two weeks, within a day he was telling me that NOW the bigwigs wanted to give me the pay increase of 10%. I told him even if it were 30% I wouldn't stay after getting screwed the first time. I liked the guys I worked with, but I knew I wanted to grow my skills and my pay.

My last job I was there 8 years. There were always promises of more pay (although I was paid competitively one always likes more as one's skills grow), more potential for promotions, etc. It was always my manager blowing smoke. He'd tell you, "If you do such and such you'll get promoted", and you'd do such and such, get my manager's praises, and then he'd open a position outside the company for the higher level admin position to bring in an outsider who you'd be training on the environment there. Never trust a manager giving you promises. If they want to keep you, then they need to show you.

Always look out for numero uno.

Thanks for the insight. I have been told by my supervisor (ive known him for years now and he's not the Manager that i directly report to) that I need to do whats best for me. There have been a lot of promises but noone can foresee the future. I understand that its a hard predicament for them because theres just mainly nothing that can be done about it...so im looking around, already had about 3 interviews and just came from a 4th one now. Got a big 3rd interview with a big big company tomorrow so wish me luck.

Anyway thanks again guys for reassuring me of what I was already feeling.
  • Options
    mamoreno89mamoreno89 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to be in that same predicament when I worked a different industry in the past, but I knew that I was not going to get anywhere. Do what you have to do in order to become a better YOU. Because, at the end of the day, its strictly business and that is all it will ever be in the employer's eye.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others have stated keep your options open so you can continue to grow your skillset and knowledge base. The pay benefits are also a nice plus. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks guys,
    Just got an offer today for a 7K plus position as a sysadmin with a specialty in Vmware, Some Cisco, 3 weeks pto from day one, one free 1 hour massage a month after 2 years I can get 2 free 1 hour massages a week maybe some remote work. Life works out a weird way. I.T. world is crazy but if you try really hard....you can make it really far. 2 years ago I was at 15/hr with almost no benefits now im very close to double that plus excellent benefits (ive only been in real I.T for 3.5 years).

Thanks guys.
    ...just work hard...get cert up (plus my BS in I.T Helped) and learn and grow business knowledge wise like soft skills and technical wise. You can get really far. Even in a crappy market like South Florida.

Thank you all
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    xocity wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    Just got an offer today for a 7K plus position as a sysadmin with a specialty in Vmware, Some Cisco, 3 weeks pto from day one, one free 1 hour massage a month after 2 years I can get 2 free 1 hour massages a week maybe some remote work. Life works out a weird way. I.T. world is crazy but if you try really hard....you can make it really far. 2 years ago I was at 15/hr with almost no benefits now im very close to double that plus excellent benefits (ive only been in real I.T for 3.5 years).

Thanks guys.
    ...just work hard...get cert up (plus my BS in I.T Helped) and learn and grow business knowledge wise like soft skills and technical wise. You can get really far. Even in a crappy market like South Florida.

Thank you all

Better than Northwest Florida! It is either DoD jobs requiring clearances or nothing.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    xocity wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Thanks guys.

Thank you all

I know the feeling OP. I'm in my 3rd year in IT and it's been a blast. I was $37K for 5 years before I got in to IT and like yourself I'm almost close to doubling that figure 3 years in. It has been an excellent learning position and I look forward to learning even more. Congrats on the new positions sounds like a great one!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021