Options

Ridiculous Job Posting

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
I was browsing thru careerbuilder for positions in Manhattan when I came up on this position -

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=JRKGT&job_did=J3I20F713THJ205ZWFP&dv=dv&jrdid=&lpage=5&strcrit=QID%3dA6653192861415%3bst%3da%3buse%3dALL%3brawWords%3dnetwork+administrator%3bCTY%3dNew+York%3bSID%3dNY%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP%3dDRNS%3bYDI%3dYES%3bIND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bJN%3dJN008%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH%3dgt120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dALL%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP%3dDC%3bFRE%3d30%3bCHL%3dAL%3bQS%3dsid_unknown%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bJQT%3dRAD&sfascc=network+administrator&CiBookMark=1&jobcount=114&sname=

For those of you who don't want to go to the site (those @ work, etc)

Here are some highlights -

One of our large I/T support organizations in New York City has an opening for a Network Engineer. As a senior level individual contributor, this position is part of a team responsible for Maintenance, Support, Trouble Resolution, Root Cause Analysis and SLA maintenance for a large, enterprise-wide LAN / WAN environment.

This position operates in a 7x24x365 SLA driven environment, requiring rotating on-call duty, flexible work hours, off-hours for network maintenance & scheduled downtime, and participation in rotating schedules of required coverage.

Requirements - college degree in CS, Relevant technical certifications (CCNP,CCIE etc), Demonstrated, in-depth, LAN / WAN support & Engineering experience (7+ years)..

Base Pay = a whopping $28,840 - $33,650/Year

I just find that a little insulting to those ppl looking for a job, that salary wouldn't even allow the employee to live a respectable distance from the job (even crappy apartments in Queens or Brooklyn (nevermind anything in Manhattan) run $800-$900 a month).

The company lists themselves as a technical staffing company and I just can't see how they get anyone that is anywhere near there requirements. I make more than that in the Poconos, PA where the cost of living is 1/4 of what it is in Ny.

Comments

• Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The employer is going to let that job sit unfilled for the next 6 months, then claim they can't find a qualified individual to fill it. They will then get a H1B visa to do the job for 30k/year.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    It's also possible that the manager wants to hire an internal employee, but is required by corporate policy to publish an external job posting before doing so. Put a low salary on the req, reject the few people that do apply, and then end up hiring your friend from down the hall. That's how they do it in medical and educational institutions.
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    This isn't even close to the job description for a network engineer and really doesn't describe a network admin either. This is more along the lines of a network technicians job description except the qualifications are highly unrealistic.

Even the pay is low for a net tech's job, especially in that area.