Big Tech Company

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
Hey,

I've been at this IT company for one month (just out of college) and it is absolutely terrible. I am there to contribute and learn, however, half the day guys are playing video games, surfing the web, etc. etc. etc. I've gone to the boss three times to say, "I want more work to do," but get nothing. So today, a big tech company called me and wanted to interview me. How should I approach this?

Thanks

Comments

• xdfeverxdfever Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    take the interview!
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go to the interview, why continue staying somewhere if you feel that you are not learning and career growth is limited. You are not obligated to tell your current employer you searching. Business is business, you have to look out for yourself.
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    snunez889 wrote: »
    I would go to the interview, why continue staying somewhere if you feel that you are not learning and career growth is limited. You are not obligated to tell your current employer you searching. Business is business, you have to look out for yourself.

Exactly This, and also...you said it yourself that you want more work to do! It really sounds like a great opportunity, personally I would go. :)
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
    I'm going to take the interview obviously, I mean how do I handle this without my company seeing it? Is the company that's calling me going to want to talk to my current boss? Should I tell this company that the company I'm working for is a complete mess? These kinds of questions and answers.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, don't trash talk your current employer. You can be honest enough in saying you don't feel there is growth potential, etc, but I'd leave it at that. They shouldn't want to talk to your current employer or most people would never be able to leave their jobs. If you fill out an app there is almost always a checkbox on who they can contact, just don't select the one that says that they are free to contact your current employer. Most companies should understand that would make a really difficult workplace for almost anyone if they called your current boss for a reference while you still worked there.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What do you mean without your company seeing this? Take the interview during lunch or after work. Don't use them as a reference during the interview.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wait what type of video games?

Just kidding. :) I would totally take the interview. No reason not to when you're at somewhere you don't even like that doesn't fit your goals. Call in sick if you have to, but don't tell your current employer you are looking for work. Just give them your two weeks after you get a signed offer letter.
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    pearljam wrote: »
    Hey,

I've been at this IT company for one month (just out of college) and it is absolutely terrible. I am there to contribute and learn, however, half the day guys are playing video games, surfing the web, etc. etc. etc. I've gone to the boss three times to say, "I want more work to do," but get nothing. So today, a big tech company called me and wanted to interview me. How should I approach this?

Thanks

Not that there is anything wrong with going on an interview but 4 weeks is a very short amount of time to understand how to assimilate into a work environment. Almost everyone who takes a new position is eager to learn and show what they can do. Nothing wrong with that until it becomes overbearing. You have approached your boss 3 times in a month. I am certain he heard you the first time. I hope you are not pointing out the fact that your coworkers are playing games to him. That is no win situation.

The key thing to learn when you take a new job is to be helpful, and respectful. If you are going on coffee runs while the other guy is working out a tough problem then just do it. Just ask yourself how can I help him/her do their job. I know you have a thousand questions but try to time asking them when they have time to answer. If you interrupt while someone is trying to focus you are not helping. The other thing to keep in mind that you have to earn trust before your coworkers hand jobs too you. It is easy to screw something up in the I T world and undoing someone else's mistake is time consuming.

The environment may be better at another company but it may not. You will have to learn to adapt to the place you are in. This much I can tell you there will be something you will not like about any place you work for. If you are lucky they are only minor things.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reminds me of the days as an NetAdmin when a coworker and I set up a game server on the corporate network. This server had the most RAM and best processor. Company was so laid back we played on double wide screen monitors and never had to minimize when the boss came around. he would actually ask who is winning. Those were to good old days. anyway i would say go for the interview!
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the interview.....but if you have so much free time at work get learning for certs as there aren't many places where you get breathing space at work!