Options

Linksys WRT54GX Router

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
I want to upgrade my Linksys WRT54G wireless router with the WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX. I want to be able to get a connection with the garage next door and I really can't with my current Linksys. Question is, if I get the SRX router, do I have to buy the very expensive WMP54GX PCI adapter (the one with srx) to notice a nice improvement or can I use my existing 802.11G PCI adapter I currently have?

I'm thinking I should hold off on the expensive PCI adapter and see if my current G card can get a good connection with a new WRT54GX.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Before you ditch your WRT54G, try using different firmware in it to boost the power. The Linksys firmware has a fixed power output of 32mw. Using the Sveasoft Alchemy firmware, or the OpenWRT firmware, you can safely boost the power output to 100mw. Also, you might look into directional antennas to focus the signal in the direction of the garage. Something like the Cantenna attached to one of the WRT54G's antenna jacks should do it.

Go to WRT54G dot NET, click on the Download button, and select your model:
    http://www.wrt54g.net/

Cantenna
    http://www.cantenna.com/
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    First off before you go splashing out on a new expensive AP there a couple of things worth doing first.

The WRT54G is a very good router and is my personal favorite. There are lots of customizeable firmwares out there. Just do a google search on it, my Fav one is a free one called Alchemy. This software allows you to boost the basic output power from 32mW upto 250mW ( be carefull of FCC laws on this)

The First thing to consider is the sighting of your router and your PCI card. 802.11g is a fantastic technology but is limited in many ways, not least being that the 2.4Ghz signal band is designed for line of site use. Things like concrete walls have a major effect on loss of signal. Whilst the garage next door may be not far away, most garage doors have a big metal door! This acts as a nice bit refector!.

Consider sighting your router next to a window and try to get best line of site you can.

A Second thing to consider is to look to replace the existing aerials that are on the router. They Rubber duck antennas on the WRT54G are about 2.5dB gain, a lot of people on ebay sell 9dBi Omni directional antenna's if you were to replace the ones on the Router and PCI card this would again boost your signal. (Again be careful of FCC laws regarding transmission)

Another thing to consider would is channel interferace, try changing channels, perhaps another network or things like cordless phones have a negative effect on signal strength.
    I want to upgrade my Linksys WRT54G wireless router with the WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX. I want to be able to get a connection with the garage next door and I really can't with my current Linksys. Question is, if I get the SRX router, do I have to buy the very expensive WMP54GX PCI adapter (the one with srx) to notice a nice improvement or can I use my existing 802.11G PCI adapter I currently have?

Whilst the SRX Technology may give you a slight boost, it is desgined to be used in tandom and as such your PCI card will continue to function and act in the same manor, so any gain you may get will be minimal (IMHO).

Your fundamental problem may lie with the garage, a lot of modern garages have a metalic inset like tin foil in the walls, whilst this is great for keeping heat in, it acts like a Faraday's Cage (watch enemy of the state and you will see what I mean) So basically preventing signals from getting in.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Beet me to it as I was typing JD!
  • Options
    Good suggestions. I do have the DD-WRT firmware. The thing is, right now I got both machines right next to each other to set things up. I am using WPA2 PSK (AES). The machine has a Ralink wireless G adapter with the latest driver. I have the correct WPA preshared key in their utility but it keeps trying to connect and then disconnecting.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

• Options
    wildfire wrote:
    Beet me to it as I was typing JD!
    Ahhh...you talk to much. And too slowly! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Well I got it connected (right near the router) using just WPA-PSK and not WPA2-PSK. For some reason it couldn't connect to the Linksys when I was using wpa2. Does XP SP 2 have issues connecting to a wpa2 network?

I'm using the windows wireless automatic configuration. The utility that came with the card (which I'm not using) has options for WPA2, so the card itself should support it.

• Options
    WinXP does support WPA2, but I always use the wireless configuration utility that comes with the card and deactivate Windows' wireless config. This is the most successful formula that I've found, but it does limit you to only using cards that have a good config utility.

Also, for a residental wireless network, you really don't need WPA2 and/or AES. Use WPA-PSK (WPA-Personal) with a random, 64-character passphrase key. That is as strong a wireless SOHO solution as you will ever need.

Ultra High Security Password Generator
    https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
  • Options
    Know what the funny thing is? When I moved the desktop back in the house (router is in the next door garage that was made into a small apartment), I couldn't connect to my Linksys; however, there were two totally unencrypted, default SSID networks within range that I could connect to. :)

I will try that cantenna thing I think. Does that really work good?

• Options
    I have a Cantenna and it works very well, but it's a clear violation of FCC rules to use one with any equipment that the Cantenna isn't licensed for.

It is also illegal to use a wireless connection without the owner's permission. Even then the owner may not have permission from their ISP to share their Internet connection with other people.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    I have a Cantenna and it works very well, but it's a clear violation of FCC rules to use one with any equipment that the Cantenna isn't licensed for.

It is also illegal to use a wireless connection without the owner's permission. Even then the owner may not have permission from their ISP to share their Internet connection with other people.

But I will be fine just using it for my Linksys, right?

• Options
    mog27 wrote:
    Unless the FCC busts down your door, confiscates your equipment, and gives you a hefty fine. But you're already illegally using your neighbor's wireless network and Internet service, so what the heck, eh?
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    mog27 wrote:
    Unless the FCC busts down your door, confiscates your equipment, and gives you a hefty fine. But you're already illegally using your neighbor's wireless network and Internet service, so what the heck, eh?

I am not! :) I didn't say I connected to the open networks; just that they were there.

• Options
    mog27 wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    mog27 wrote:

I am not! :) I didn't say I connected to the open networks; just that they were there.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only way to truly know that a wireless network is open is to associate with it. When your wireless laptop or PC performs the association--which is an automatic feature of 802.11 networking--you are breaking the law.

This is an example of how the law is at odds with technology. It's like making it illegal for dogs to bark. It is an attempt to outlaw something that occurs naturally. Automatic association is a natural feature of 802.11, and it happens constantly between access points and clients without the explicit permission of the access point's owner.

For all the people that are reading this and want to point out that Netstumbler does not associate with access points, and therefore does not break the law, this is true. However, wireless client software installed on PCs does automatically attempt to associate with access points rather than just sending out a probe request frame as Netstumbler does.

And all of this talk pertains only to FCC regulations in the USA. I'm not sure how the association aspects of 802.11 is regarded by the laws in the EU and Asia.
  • Options
    And all of this talk pertains only to FCC regulations in the USA. I'm not sure how the association aspects of 802.11 is regarded by the laws in the EU and Asia.

Without the risk of being accused of talking to much I will keep this short,

Not sure about Asia, but the EU is governed by the ETEI They basically limit Transmission to a max of 20dBi which is slightly different to the FCC.

As for intercepting open access point, I dont beleive there is a specific law in Europe related to that, but I know it has been a discussion in the UK. If you dont get done, your neightbour would as its against nearlly all internet contracts to share out your connection. Breaking Encryption etc is a Violation of the RIP 2000 Act in the UK and some of Europe.
  • Options
    wildfire, good point about maximum power output. People in the USA can easily buy 802.11 antennas that are illegal to use with power output of their access points. In the USA, if your 2.4GHz AP is transmitting at 30dBm (1 watt) you can legally use an antenna with a maximum gain of only 6dBi. It's certainly easy to buy an antenna with a higher gain than 6dBi. Luckily, 100mw is plenty of power for most residential needs, which can be used with up to a 16dBi antenna.
  • Options
    Like you say though I doubt that the FCC will burst in your house in the middle of night, Even above these limits the risk of radiation is minimal, Especially compaired to something like a Mobile phone mast.

In my early day I used to work on 1MW Radars.

I think that if you direct the beam below a certain width you can increase the Max output slightly or alternatively apply for an Amatuer Radio License and feel free to make microwave popcorn with you new Wireless Cantenna.
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:
    I think that if you direct the beam below a certain width you can increase the Max output slightly or alternatively apply for an Amatuer Radio License and feel free to make microwave popcorn with you new Wireless Cantenna.
    People commonly mix and tweak transceivers, cables, filters, and antennas without regards for the need of FCC certification of the new system that they have created. Regardless of what you do, the FCC doesn't want you to have a transmitter that has more than 4 watts EIRP. You start bothering other transceivers with your transmissions and the FCC radio detector van will appear at your doorstep.

A much bigger problem that I see caused by 802.11 wireless in the USA is allowing people who believe that they are free to do whatever they want with their Internet service to wirelessly share their Internet connection.

People often set up a wireless access point and allow other people in their apartment building or neighborhood to access their Internet service, either freely or by charging money. In most cases for residential service, this type of connection subleasing is a clear violation of the Internet Service Provider's terms of usage. If discovered by the ISP, it can result in an immediate and permanent termination of the customer's services.

Just because people pay for a service (e.g., water, electricity, trash collection, telephone, Internet etc.) doesn't mean that they are free to do whatever they want with it. When in doubt, read your terms of usage agreement first.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JD said : "A much bigger problem that I see caused by 802.11 wireless in the USA is allowing people who believe that they are free to do whatever they want with their Internet service to wirelessly share their Internet connection.

People often set up a wireless access point and allow other people in their apartment building or neighborhood to access their Internet service, either freely or by charging money. In most cases for residential service, this type of connection subleasing is a clear violation of the Internet Service Provider's terms of usage. If discovered by the ISP, it can result in an immediate and permanent termination of the customer's services.

Just because people pay for a service (e.g., water, electricity, trash collection, telephone, Internet etc.) doesn't mean that they are free to do whatever they want with it. When in doubt, read your terms of usage agreement first."

you are right JD,
    but i have many previous clients that just dont care about securing their wireless network - just as long long as they talk to each other it will do just fine icon_confused.gif
    and the worst - i have a corporate client whose administrator trying to bill everyone who connect to their network - seriously develop RADIUS server etc. and just that - having WAP intstalled on the lobby and said "HOTSPOT ready" - wow.... icon_mad.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    and the worst - i have a corporate client whose administrator trying to bill everyone who connect to their network - seriously develop RADIUS server etc. and just that - having WAP intstalled on the lobby and said "HOTSPOT ready" - wow.... icon_mad.gif
    Nothing wrong with that if their Internet Service Provider allows them to resell bandwidth. Coffee houses do it all the time.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JD said : "Nothing wrong with that if their Internet Service Provider allows them to resell bandwidth. Coffee houses do it all the time."

true - but it only works on sponsored.. icon_cool.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    I got a cantenna and it just doesn't do a THING. I still cannot see my connection from inside the next door house. I think I will return it. I do remember getting a connection when I bring my laptop to that same area. Should I invest in a good PCI wireless G adapter? If so what are the best?

• Options
    How and where are you positioning the Cantenna? Metal and water both reflect and degrade a 2.4GHz signal, so a directional antenna will not work well if it is trying to transmit a signal through several feet of wood, metal, and concrete walls.

And what's the power output on the access point? If you can only receive a connection when the laptop is close to the access point then it sound like the AP's signal is very low or being blocked. You should have no problems connecting from several hundred feet away, even with the AP's little omni antennas. Something amiss in the local area.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    How and where are you positioning the Cantenna? Metal and water both reflect and degrade a 2.4GHz signal, so a directional antenna will not work well if it is trying to transmit a signal through several feet of wood, metal, and concrete walls.

And what's the power output on the access point? If you can only receive a connection when the laptop is close to the access point then it sound like the AP's signal is very low or being blocked. You should have no problems connecting from several hundred feet away, even with the AP's little omni antennas. Something amiss in the local area.

Should I look into buying a better wireless PCI card? The one I am using is a Ralink, which is fairly generic. Perhaps that is part of the problem?

• Options
    cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    I tried this one, picked it up for $50 New at tigerdirect in naperville, IL. For some reason this router bogged down quite frequently whenever I had a couple machines running at once. My MN 700 is no charm, but performed better than the WRT54GS. I have had the WRT54G and liked that one a lot.
    To protect and to serve(r)...
  • Options
    mog27 wrote:
    Should I look into buying a better wireless PCI card? The one I am using is a Ralink, which is fairly generic. Perhaps that is part of the problem?
    You can try it. I have no way to diagnose the problem without actually examining the equipment and performing an RF site inspection using a signal strength analyzer (i.e., Netstumbler on a laptop using a directional antenna).

Let me know what you find out.