Options

Career Change Advice - CDW

kudozkudoz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in my mid/late 20's and would like to hear your thoughts on a career/industry change to CDW. I currently work as an outside rep making a good living, however the IT industry intrigues me. I would enter as an inside account rep, not making much at first. I'd likely be taking a 50% pay cut and make under $50k for my first two years. However, I am betting on myself to be very successful and for it to pay off financially in 5 years.

My goal is to eventually work for a solid vendor as a career move (VMWare, Microsoft etc.) and will be using CDW as a stepping stone to get there. Although I would be okay with making $100k at CDW in 5 years.

I'm tempted to get into the IT industry as a SDR at a software company. However, selling one companies software would most likely not provide a stepping stone to companies such Microsoft because I would not have experience selling their products.

I can financially afford it and willing to bet on myself. I just want to ensure that I am not making a stupid move. Does anyone have experience working at CDW? What doors does working at CDW offer?

Comments

• Options
    kudozkudoz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what can be some next steps for an account manager at a VAR (besides management)?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I haven't worked there myself, but CDW is always rated well in workplace satisfaction surveys, etc. They're also one of the big resellers out there, so I don't think it will do anything but help your career.

On more practical points, not exactly good public transit options to CDW (if that's a concern), as they're pretty far from the VH train station, so you'll definitely have to drive, which can be a little long depending on where you're coming from. I'm also not quite sure on their advancement path anymore. Years back, they used to start you on the retail sales floor, then call in customers, then account assignment. They shut down the retail sales floor a while ago though. I expect the rest of that is still relatively relavent.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    as they're pretty far from the VH train station, so you'll definitely have to drive

It actually can be reached on your legs. Around 2.1 miles distance, if you like to walk and recognize walking as a nice exercise it's totally doable. 20-30 minutes walk depending on your speed.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh, I've done the walk, I just wouldn't plan on it during the winter. Particularly as I've seen too many accidents there at the corner of 45 and buffalo grove rd (or wahtever they call it there at that intersection).

But was more of a comparison to taking train downtown and walking to an office int he loop. Some people get spoiled by that and don't consider that you don't have millions of offices within 6 blocks of ogilvie/union station. :) I know, because I've been that person before. There is a reason I chose to buy a house that had 4 train stations on two different lines within 3 miles. I love public transit.