What certs to get next.

windsor888windsor888 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there I just want to know which certification path to take next. I currently have MCSA 2012 and CCNA R&S under my belt. I wondering should i get my MCSE? or CCNP? or add new certs like Comptia etc? Im migrating to LA next year and I want to get a job as Network Engineer. I have 5 years exp as IT support and 2 years exp as Application Administrator here in the Philippines. I dont know if they will credit my experience here. I want to increase my chance of getting an interview at least . Thanks in advance.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course they will credit your experience..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Security+, VMware VCA or VCP, Linux+, and broaden/deepen the network side, maybe CCNA Data Center or CCNP.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second OctalDump's suggestion. I can't explain why but showing some knowledge in many different areas early on seems to have worked for so many on this forum and I plan on doing the same thing. When it gets into advanced level certs that may be a little different. One thing I'd change is instead of Linux+ go for RHCSA, it covers mainly the same topics but it's much more sought after.

Certifying experience is always a plus as well. CCNA with no experience hasn't done anything for me but if I had cisco experience it would likely be getting me closer to the next step.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Joe_SagonaJoe_Sagona Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agreed, experience will definitely beef up your certs and will be the most important qualifier. Since you are starting out, I would get your CNMP and Network+ if you are looking into a job as a network engineer. Variety of certifications does have its benefits, but these certificates tend to get people hired in NOC. Tompsitpro has a great chart showing the number of jobs with these certificate requirements, which you can easily google but here it is: http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/networking-certifications,2-208.html