Options

Anyone have issues when using a mft wic for serial connections in their ccna lab

clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been using some mft wic for serial connections in my home lab. And, I haven't had any issues at all. While "works for me" is good, there are things I probably haven't tried. So, I'm just wonder if anyone has had issues when they have used them. Aside from having to configure the controller and channel group.
Thanks,
Curtis Larson

Comments

• Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    I've been using some mft wic for serial connections in my home lab. And, I haven't had any issues at all. While "works for me" is good, there are things I probably haven't tried. So, I'm just wonder if anyone has had issues when they have used them. Aside from having to configure the controller and channel group.
    Thanks,
    Curtis Larson

show inventory gave me this:
    NAME: "VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 - 1-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1/E1", DESCR: "VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 - 1-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1/E1"
    PID: VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1  , VID: V01 , SN: FOC11230EXY

I had to add this to global config:

card type t1 0 0

and

controller T1 0/0/0
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    cablelength long 0db
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

which then enabled me to do this:

interface Serial0/0/0:0
    bandwidth 1544
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 601 interface Serial0/1/0 106

I think that the :0 is the channel group. I did not look into it very specifically. Mine happens to be in my first WIC slot.

Obviously the stuff under the interface command is specific to what I was working with, this card happens to be in my frame-relay switch and not
  • Options
    ebohlmanebohlman Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used MFTs for lab work.
    TWX wrote: »
    I had to add this to global config:

card type t1 0 0

and

controller T1 0/0/0

The next three lines are (as far as I know) defaults.
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    cablelength long 0db
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

which then enabled me to do this:

interface Serial0/0/0:0
    bandwidth 1544
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 601 interface Serial0/1/0 106

I think that the :0 is the channel group. I did not look into it very specifically. Mine happens to be in my first WIC slot.

Obviously the stuff under the interface command is specific to what I was working with, this card happens to be in my frame-relay switch and not

It's not specific to frame relay. I've used the "colon" interfaces as ordinary serial interfaces (using "service module t1 clock source {internal | external}) for a typical "ring" topology.

Note that 1700-series routers can only handle two T1 interfaces.
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ebohlman wrote: »
    I've used MFTs for lab work.

It's not specific to frame relay. I've used the "colon" interfaces as ordinary serial interfaces (using "service module t1 clock source {internal | external}) for a typical "ring" topology.

Note that 1700-series routers can only handle two T1 interfaces.

Yep. Defining the function of the 24 channels for digital use creates the first channel group (the zero group) which is the :0.

Those three lines might be default but they are shown in the running and startup configurations.