Options

Hardware Q

volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was combing through Ebay (looking at random hardware) and inadvertently stumbled upon this:

WS-C3560G-24TS-S
(24-Port GbE Catalyst Switch)

WS-C3560X-24T-S
(24-Ports-Ports Ethernet Switch)

in short:
One is a model "G", and the other a model "X".

But what caught my attention is that the G is only $300 (used)... while the X is over $1,300 dollars!
(Cisco 3560: Network Switches | eBay)

What is the difference in feature-set?
And how/where can i read/learn more about these differences (and other models)?

thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    probably the X series has SFP's and an enhanced IOS plus beefier specs.
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »

Umm... well, yes. i suppose that is always an option.

I guess i was wondering if there were places that had already had specs/features broken down (for noobs).
    Kind of like a comprehensive 'wikia' of sorts:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Catalyst#Current_Switches
    (something closer to this)

Clearly i have made great progress learning about the "theory" of networking... but i know Zilch about the hardware
    *meh*
  • Options
    shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco's site has comprehensive spec sheets for all their switches. They refer to it as a "Data Sheet".

Here is one example, for the 3750X and 3560X.

Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches Data Sheet - Cisco
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3560G is an old model. They're old enough that we've even surplussed the non-PoE models, much to my later annoyance when I started studying for the exam.

The will run IOS15 though.
  • Options
    TWX wrote: »
    3560G is an old model. They're old enough that we've even surplussed the non-PoE models, much to my later annoyance when I started studying for the exam.

The will run IOS15 though.

Okay Great :]

So want model came after the 3560?

And after That?
    And after that one, as well?

See what i mean? Is there a site/webpage somewhere that has this sort of product-line history?
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Okay Great :]

So want model came after the 3560?

And after That?
    And after that one, as well?

See what i mean? Is there a site/webpage somewhere that has this sort of product-line history?

Cisco is a lot more interested in selling new equipment than in servicing the old stuff. One ends up having to dig through EOL documentation. It's further complicated by still being able to RMA dead 3560G switches and possibly even 3560-letterless switches, I've had eight year old dead switches replaced under warranty at work before.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so want model came after the 3560?

3524XL or 3548XL --> 3550 --> 3560 --> 3560v2 --> 3650 (3650 NOT 3560)

3560G or 3560E --> 3560X (EOL 10/31/2015) --> 3650 (3650 NOT 3560)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Okay, so i have learned that the Cisco
    "Catalyst" is the brand name for a variety of network switches sold by Cisco Systems.

So... what is the 'Brand name' for the Routers that they sell?
    ( i can't seem to get a straight answer on this
    All Routers Products - Cisco)
  • Options
    Okay, so i have learned that the Cisco
    "Catalyst" is the brand name for a variety of network switches sold by Cisco Systems.

So... what is the 'Brand name' for the Routers that they sell?
    ( i can't seem to get a straight answer on this
    All Routers Products - Cisco)

There isn't one.......

Why are you concerned about that?
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    oh i see.

I'm just trying to familiarize myself with various product lines, and such.
    I am completely new to the networking world, and am lacking in terms of historical depth.

I think learning about various hardware products from... say... 2005 (10 years back), will help me gain some perspective.
  • Options
    Become familiar with the products you're likely to see at your place of employment and work on becoming proficient in the use of those products. The other stuff comes with time.

No sense in knowing all the technical specs on a Cisco ASR 9000 if you don't know how to turn on ip routing on a 3750. Just an example. :)
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    Become familiar with the products you're likely to see at your place of employment and work on becoming proficient in the use of those products. The other stuff comes with time.

No sense in knowing all the technical specs on a Cisco ASR 9000 if you don't know how to turn on ip routing on a 3750. Just an example. :)

What if you're trying to get EIGRP stub routing on the 3750 working, connecting to the ASR9k, but there's a problem and they won't form a neighbor adjacency?

I sort-of kid, but I've had this kind of issue at work. I have an ME3600X connected to a pair of ASR9000s, and I can't get the the 3750 to establish a neighbor relationship with the ME3600X to route to the ASRs... Haven't really worked on it very much as it's more of an experiment and I have production stuff to take care of in the meantime.
  • Options

ha!
    Yaw, definitely know what you mean.

BUT, for the record, i'm not really trying to know the technical aspects of the ASR 9000.

Rather, i'm trying to know that there was an ASR9000 (and when it existed).

Up until your post... i never heard of an ASR.
    (see what i mean?)
  • Options
    TWX wrote: »
    What if you're trying to get EIGRP stub routing on the 3750 working, connecting to the ASR9k, but there's a problem and they won't form a neighbor adjacency?

I sort-of kid, but I've had this kind of issue at work. I have an ME3600X connected to a pair of ASR9000s, and I can't get the the 3750 to establish a neighbor relationship with the ME3600X to route to the ASRs... Haven't really worked on it very much as it's more of an experiment and I have production stuff to take care of in the meantime.

Knowledge is never bad and I'm sure ASR 9Ks are pretty cool but learning about my existing infrastructure and infrastructure I'm likely to see soon on a deep level is more important in my career.

If you already have a deep knowledge of your infrastructure, then by all mean, dig into that ASR 9K. :)
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    ha!
    Yaw, definitely know what you mean.

BUT, for the record, i'm not really trying to know the technical aspects of the ASR 9000.

Rather, i'm trying to know that there was an ASR9000 (and when it existed).

Up until your post... i never heard of an ASR.
    (see what i mean?)

It's definitely beneficial to know what products currently exist but I don't see much value in learning about routers of the past and when they were introduced. That's more for like an episode of Jeopardy! for Network Engineers.
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    Basically one needs to know the products that one will be supporting.

That's been part of what's making my certification journey such a PITA, we don't use traditional routers, we don't use frame relay, our core infrastructure is so advanced that the traditional CCNA topics don't apply anymore, and our switching methodology is laid-out in a fairly well-thought but very unchanging. This setup does not help much for CCNA.
  • Options
    i'm Baaack!!

lol
    Okay, i have another Question.

I see a lot of reference to:
    Cisco IOS 12.x
    and
    Cisco IOS 15.x

So......
    How long has 12.x been around?
    (in my mind, i imagine that it was like WindowsXP/ Android-Gingerbread. Once upon a time... a huge juggernaut)

When did 12.x get phased out; and when did 15.x roll in? (it was the successor, correct?)

What were some of the first switches/routers to come with 15.x?
    (all i have are old catalyst 2960s)

Cisco Nexus switches do NOT run cisco ios, correct?
    Why is this????
    Why create a new OS?

Thanks All :]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    IOS is a lot different than thinking about it like a Windows perspective, but 12.x and it's flavors have been around for quite a long time and still used in plenty large networks over the world. There are trains that still have development as well. Especially on the service provider side.

I believe 15.0 was released in 2008 or 2009. So quite a while.

As far as why Nexus doesn't use IOS, it has different features and built by different BU in Cisco.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm certainly not an expert in these things, but I'll throw some info out.
    ios 11.3 went end of life in 2005 so 12.0 had to be out there before that. but unlike xp, there has been 12.0, 12.1 .... 12.4.
    I think 15 was released abut 2010. And, yes they did skip from 12.4 to 15.0
    what are the first switches/routers to come with 15 is different from the first switches and routers that can run 15.
    cisco msr routers (2600xm, etc.) cant run 15. isr (1800, 2800,3800)routers came with 12.4 but can be upgraded/run 15.
    the isr2 routers (1900,2900,3900) are probably the first that came with 15.
    nexus switches run the nx-os and not the cisco ios
    but they are very similar: Cisco NX-OS/IOS Interface Comparison - DocWiki
    doesn't exactly answer why. but, nx-os evolved from the Cisco operating system san-os, originally developed for its MDS-series Fibre Channel storage area network switches.
  • Options
    IOS 12 has been around for a long, long time. I can't find when it was first released, but given that IOS 11.3 went End of Sale in 1999, IOS 12 must've already been out and probably for a while. Before that, there was IOS 11 (1995-1999) and before that IOS 10 (1993-1997).

12.4 -- EOS in 2011
    12.3 -- EOS in 2006
    12.2 -- EOS in 2005
    12.1 -- EOS in 2001

Updates were still being put out for IOS 12.2SE (alongside IOS 15.0SE releases) for switches last time I checked. So, technically IOS 12 is still a current IOS on some switches.

When I went through the Cisco NetAcademy (2001), IOS 10 and IOS 11 were still out there, even though they were EOS, much like you will still find IOS 12.4 on a lot of routers, even many 1st Generation ISRs such as the 1800 and 2800 series, which can support up to IOS 15.1.
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    but unlike xp, there has been 12.0, 12.1 .... 12.4.

For the sake of comparison to Windows, you might use NT numbers. Prior to Windows XP, MS maintained Windows NT as a separate version of Windows targeted at business users. NT was far more stable than Windows 9x, but had less software/hardware support (until Windows XP came out). After the utter failure of Windows ME, they made the smart decision and dumped the Windows 9x line.

NT 5.0 -- Windows 2000
    NT 5.1 -- Windows XP (32 bit)
    NT 5.2 -- Windows XP (64 bit)

NT 6.0 -- Windows Vista
    NT 6.1 -- Windows 7
    NT 6.2 -- Windows 8
    NT 6.3 -- Windows 8.1
    NT 10.0* -- Windows 10

*Windows 10 should have been NT 6.4, but Microsoft decided to skip the NT numbers ahead so that they matched the Windows version.

Comparing that to Cisco, you might compare NT 6 (Windows Vista to Windows 10) to IOS 15 and NT 5 (Windows 2000 and XP) to IOS 12. NT 4 (NT Equivalent to 95/9icon_cool.gif would be IOS 11 and NT 3 (NT Equivalent to Windows 3.x) would be IOS 10.
  • Options
    You guys Rock!!

Thanks for the historical reference :]