Options

Skip the A+ exam and Network+ exam and finally take a CCNA cert

jagehundjagehund Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm not a native english speakar so I apologies for my bad english.

I'm working for a company that handles cisco routers/switches, and have been working with this in many years but havent developed any superskills yet, because all we do with this routers is upgrading them to the latest IOS and then send them to costumer.

Now the boss wants me to take a CCNA cert ASAP. So my questions to you is, can I just watch the prof.messer videos about A+ and N+ and memorize the videos and take notes and build a foundation but without taking the exams and after that study for the CCNA exam?
Or should I do my best to take both the A+ and N+ exam before trying to take CCNA exam?

Thank in advance!

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    There's no reason to take certs in any particular order.

If you feel ready for CCNA, you can go and do CCNA. But do you feel ready?

If you are not ready, then you might need to learn some more basic stuff. This is why many people start with basic certifications like A+. Once they know a bit more, they move onto others. It's a way to get certifications and learn at the same time.

How comfortable are you with networking generally? Can you set up a static IP on your computer? Change the DHCP range on your home router? Set up a wireless access point? Configure Frame Relay, PPP, ATM? Set up RIPv2 route across multiple routers? Set up a NAT overload on Cisco router? Configure STP?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    The Network+ might help you a little bit in learning the theory, but I would divide the CCNA: Routing and Switching into two exams.

Go for the ICND1 first. After you pass that, go for the ICDN2.

If your boss is pushing you to get your CCNA, and because you work for a company that uses Cisco, I think you would be wasting your time getting your A+/Network+.

Do what you think is right for you. Best of luck.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are lucky that currently working at company which handles routers and switches and you stated that had worked there for many years so which means you have had touched real tools, therefore do not waist your time to learn A+/Net+ from Prof. Messer these class just for general studying regarding doing such as help desk or desktop position technician. Your boss wanted you to have CCNA in order to have up-to-date skills so just go straight to cisco path. Here is my suggestion to you if you would like to study straight one way to CCNA:

1. Get this book: cisco ccna in 60days by Paul Browing http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCNA-Days-William-Browning/dp/0956989292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446581623&sr=8-1&keywords=60+days+in+ccna

2. Get this book: CCNA exam crams CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Exam Cram (4th Edition): 9780789751096: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

Read all the book and doing practice lab with all your devoted time you will know what to prepare for exam, good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate that alot!
  • Options
    Hi all, another question. If i grab a CCNA cert can I get a real network job. I mean I've been working with cisco routers for 6 years now.
    My job is to ugrade IOS version on cisco routers/switches and sometimes we configre the startup-config through CLI. But that is very basic config like passwords, hostname, vlans interface and ip address, nothing more. Thats all I'm configuering to these routers/switches.

The experience I have, even if it isnt something advanced, does It mean that I've have netowrk experience, or do I have to be in the real field and so on? Do you think that with my experience and a CCNA can get a real networking job on the field?
  • Options
    FritzGFritzG Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If all you are doing is following a set of instructions to make those small changes in the CLI, I would say you have limited experience. You can say you have experience but not a lot. With CCNA you and your limited hands on experience, you may be able to get a junior networking job to start where they let you do more than just those small configurations. CCNA will not hurt to have anyway. :)