Options

looking for my first IT job

JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
i just got my A+ cert in the mail, and im about halfway through my study for network+, and ive been thinking about places to work.

i checked the phonebook and there is a bunch of pc repair/computer service places. would just a HS diploma and A+ be enough to get into one of these places? would i need a resume?

im just trying to get my foot in the IT door here, and get some expierence. what else should i do, and what do i need to know. any tips are really appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TeedubyahTeedubyah Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoeNvidio wrote:
    i just got my A+ cert in the mail, and im about halfway through my study for network+, and ive been thinking about places to work.

i checked the phonebook and there is a bunch of pc repair/computer service places. would just a HS diploma and A+ be enough to get into one of these places? would i need a resume?

im just trying to get my foot in the IT door here, and get some expierence. what else should i do, and what do i need to know. any tips are really appreciated. thanks!

Yeah, just go up there with your resume and see if they're hiring. I was aacepted at Comp USA doing that, and a friend of mine was accepted at Best Buy. All we did was dress up a bit, took our resumes, and asked to speak to the manager. Most people start out doing PC repair or help desk to get their foot in the door.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, just go up there with your resume and see if they're hiring. I was aacepted at Comp USA doing that, and a friend of mine was accepted at Best Buy. All we did was dress up a bit, took our resumes, and asked to speak to the manager. Most people start out doing PC repair or help desk to get their foot in the door.

Excellent Advice Teeddubyah :D

Do everything teeddubyah says JoeNvidio you will have that dream job you want in no time
  • Options
    imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Advice all around. Also ask friends and family if they have an IT dept. where they work. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know.
  • Options
    indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    not sometimes but most of the time.... having inside connections IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO when it comes to getting good jobs rather than ur education and experience in the field...speaking from experience..
  • Options
    try doing volunteer work and get your hands dirty. If I was in HR I wouldn't even give you the time of day with just a HS diploma and A+. I have seen people come into work with this same criteria, and they were quickly eliminated because they lacked any real knowledge. Even one guy who came in right out of HS with A+, Net+, CCNA, and MCSA (nice for a HS kid though) and was fired within a matter of a couple weeks because he lacked any actual skills. Hands on is better than certs when it comes to hiring, remember that. "I did such and such on so and so's network for x months" looks even better than "I graduated HS and have A+" If it were up to me I would pick they guy w/o any certs actually. So get out there, look for a church network in need of some volunteer work or something. You can get valuable hands on experience AND be able to say you are a volunteer on your resume, 2 great thigns in 1.
  • Options
    thanks guys. my dad always tells me that i shouldnt waste my time with volunteer work. icon_lol.gif

i think im just gonna get my network+, so i can add that to my resume, just so i feel like i got somethin more. then i'll start lookin into pc repair jobs.

also, whats a good place to make up my resume. cus i dont have one... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    People don't work for free anymore. Employers shouldn't expect to see volunteer work on your resume. It's overated anyway. You'd better off getting a low paying job instead of volunteering. How will you feed your family working for free? Listen to what your dad told you.
  • Options
    ^ hehe

i usually just nod and smile and say "yea" when he goes off on one of his lectures. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    if pc tech jobs came that easily I would be seeing some of the other dozens of kids that finished those classes at all the local high schools in my area.