Options

Wireless Security Toy

keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
I know some of you who are just starting to get into wireless security are looking for some cheap and easy ways to give yourself an introduction to war driving (just locating and identifying WLANs, not connecting to them). This post could be many pages if I got into the details of all the things I have on my Linux laptop and the tools I use. So I'll give a simple explanation of some stuff I discovered while between hotels and on flights over the last few months (these trips get boring, so I have to sometimes entertain myself).

My fun device: A PPC 6700 loaded with Windows Mobile version 5.0.
These things are extremely nice and suprisingly very functional. Mine came loaded with the full office suite (word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, and access). I have the entire ISC2 Official CISSP Review seminar stored on it (power point slides and all). And the best thing of all? Comes with an integrated 802.11g NIC!!! The Microsoft outlook works like a charm and I had no problems synchronizing with our exchange servers. Check it out here. http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Sprint-PPC-6700.htm Keep in mind that I do have a 2gig mini sd card on which most of my extra apps, music, etc.... is stored.

My tools
Wififofum2: Probably the coolest pda style sniffer/locator I've seen. You get a nice little radar screen on your device (think James Bond looking for a hidden bomb using the small hand held radar device) that will actually lead you right to access points in your the area you're in. The closer the beacons are to the center crosshairs, the stronger the signal from the AP. Since my device comes with the GPS package standard, I seamlessly get longitude and lattitude for the AP's (of course this is relative location within 5 to 10 feet). You can even control the number of triangles used for triangulating the AP's!!!! Here's a screenshot. http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4860.html

Ministumbler: The baby brother to the popular netstumbler. Ministumbler is specifically designed for these types of devices. It does a better job of giving you information about AP's identified, but Wififofum2 actually makes it a snap to pin point exactly where the AP is.

So far I've used both ministumbler and wififofum for some prelim. site surveys and signal leak audits, I must say I've been pretty impressed.

At this point, I don't think I'll go into cracking WEP and things of that nature, for one, it's not as easy as most make it seem, and secondly it will also be a long post.

Enjoy guys, I'll post more soon.

(And errrrr, I'll actually post some more CISSP related questions tommorrow. icon_wink.gif

Comments