Options

Understanding Cisco IOS versions and updating

GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've seen some pictures which show where the various versions of IOS sit in relation to each other (SPServices, IPBase, AdvancedIPServices etc) but if you don't understand the features it's hard to work out which one I should be using. This is my current lab kit list:

SW1 (3560) - (C3560-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
SW2 (3560) - (C3560-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
SW3 (2960) - (C2960-LANBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
R1 (1841) - (C1841-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
R2 (2811) - (C2800NM-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(16), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
R3 (2811) - (C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

1. Is the lowest/basic IOS sufficient for lab kit and for studying for a CCNA R&S or do I need features from a higher more featured IOS? I'm talking 'need' here rather than want and not taking into account future courses I may or may not undertake such as Security or Collaboration. From this link it appears to me that IPbase is at the bottom? Cisco IOS Packaging Customer Q&A  [Cisco IOS Packaging] - Cisco Systems

2. Looking at my 2811 routers, I've been to the Cisco IOS downloads page and there are loads of versions - 12.4, 12.4T, 12.4YB etc. I'm guessing from mine that R2 is currently using 12.4 while R3 is using 12.4T (simply because R3 has a 'T' in the name while R2 doesn't) but can someone confirm I've interpreted this correctly?

3. From what I can see the latest 12.4 IOS is 12.4.25g(MD) while the latest 12.4T IOS is 12.4.24T8(ED). What do the letters on the end mean, what are MD and ED?

4. What's the difference between 12.4 and 12.4T, which is better and can I interchange between them or does the hardware determine the exact version which needs to be used?

5. Can I save/back up the IOS from one device and use that image on another similar device (in this case I'm looking at my two 2811's)? In addition to the question raised at 4 I'd also like to know if I can upgrade R3 with the AdvancedEnterprise IOS installed on R2?

6. As I'm simply an individual studying at my own expense I don't have SmartNet so can't download updates, but does anyone have newer or better featured IOS images for my devices they could/would send me?

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. For the CCNA you shouldn't really "need" anything more than ipbase on your switches. While ipservices and 15.x code would be more ideal to have, it's not "needed".

2. I believe that's correct.

3. MD = Maintenance Deployment, ED = Early Deployment, LD = Limited Deployment, GD = General Deployment

4. Between 12.4 and 12.4T, I'd go with 12.4 as it's the mainline of code. With 15.x code the mainline of code is 15.xM on 12.x code they don't have it labeled with an M. Yes you can interchange between them.

5. On the 2811s this is VERY easy if you have a 2GB or less usb drive. If you don't you'll need to TFTP. Yes, if you take the image from R2 and put it on R3, it will work.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GDaines wrote: »
    1. Is the lowest/basic IOS sufficient for lab kit and for studying for a CCNA R&S or do I need features from a higher more featured IOS? I'm talking 'need' here rather than want and not taking into account future courses I may or may not undertake such as Security or Collaboration. From this link it appears to me that IPbase is at the bottom? Cisco IOS Packaging Customer Q&A* [Cisco IOS Packaging] - Cisco Systems

For CCNA, the switches would need LAN Base (2960) or IP Base (3550, 3560, 3750). For routers, you will want Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise on all of them. These are the only packages that support IPv6 on routers*. To cover everything, you would need at least IOS 15.0, but I think the only topic you wouldn't be able to cover is licensing. 12.4T would cover everything but licensing.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=279119622&softwareid=280805680&os=&release=15.1.4M10&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest&i=!pp

For your routers, look for 15.0(1)M9 or M10 on Cisco.com. You can download these without SmartNet (at least for now). You can download LAN Base and IP Base IOSes for switches directly from Cisco. IP Services images typically require SmartNet.

Find Your Router (1800 Series or 2800 Series) --> Software on Chassis --> IOS Software --> All Releases --> 15.0 --> 15.0M --> 15.0.1M10(MD) or 15.0.1M9(MD)

https://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=283001968&flowid=7351

*Some older IOSes (Prior to 12.4T) had oddball numbers/letters to designate their features rather than names (IP Base, etc...) To know what features they support, you would have to look each one up on Cisco's site.

2. Looking at my 2811 routers, I've been to the Cisco IOS downloads page and there are loads of versions - 12.4, 12.4T, 12.4YB etc. I'm guessing from mine that R2 is currently using 12.4 while R3 is using 12.4T (simply because R3 has a 'T' in the name while R2 doesn't) but can someone confirm I've interpreted this correctly?

R2 is using IOS 12.4, R3 is using IOS 12.4T
    4. What's the difference between 12.4 and 12.4T, which is better and can I interchange between them or does the hardware determine the exact version which needs to be used?

For 15.0 and later, there are two main "Trains" - T and M - M focuses on stability, while T gets new features earlier. T will have more features. For 12.4, the letterless version could be thought of as the M train (less features). You can use Cisco Feature Navigator to determine what IOSes are compatible with your router and how much RAM and Flash each will require.

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems
    5. Can I save/back up the IOS from one device and use that image on another similar device (in this case I'm looking at my two 2811's)? In addition to the question raised at 4 I'd also like to know if I can upgrade R3 with the AdvancedEnterprise IOS installed on R2?

Yes.

Use the command tftp-server flash:IOS_FILENAME.bin to share the IOS via TFTP. Now, all you need to do is connect the two routers together (either directly with a cable or to the same network) and assign each of them an IP Address. If you connect them to your home network, you can use the ip address dhcp command to have them use DHCP to assign them an address. Then, on the router you want to upgrade use the command copy tftp flash and when prompted specify the IP Address of the router with the image and the filename.

You could also copy your IOSes to a central TFTP server and then from there to any routers that need them. I have a Virtual (VMware ESXi) Windows XP box on my lab network running a TFTP Server, Syslog Server, and Wireshark.
    6. As I'm simply an individual studying at my own expense I don't have SmartNet so can't download updates, but does anyone have newer or better featured IOS images for my devices they could/would send me?

As I noted above, Layer 2 switch IOSes and IP Base Layer 3 switch IOSes can be downloaded with only a regular account. You just need to register at cisco.com, no SmartNet required. There are a few IOSes if you dig through the "All Releases" section that aren't locked behind SmartNet (either by mistake or for some other reason). IOSes that require SmartNet will have a piece of paper with a lock over it icon. If there is just a lock (no paper), it only requires a regular account.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    theodoxa wrote: »

For CCNA, the switches would need LAN Base (2960) or IP Base (3550, 3560, 3750). For routers, you will want Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise on all of them. These are the only packages that support IPv6 on routers*. To cover everything, you would need at least IOS 15.0, but I think the only topic you wouldn't be able to cover is licensing. 12.4T would cover everything but licensing.

This is accurate, I know for a fact I've run into the IP Base issues on the routers and they don't support VRRP. However if your router has enough flash memory space and enough RAM then you could run version 12.2(5icon_cool.gifSE on IP Base and that supports VRRP but it is a memory hog.

However in my lab all the 2821's and 2811 have version 12.2(5icon_cool.gifSE Advanced IP Services (as do the 3550's and 3750G's) because I use OSPF and IPv6 in the home-lab on the core. The 2600 XM's have it too but they run like crap, but that's a memory issue....

One of the 2821's I got came with the image so it was just copied to the others and they are in the HCL so it works for labbing. :)

As for the 2800's yes you can either us a USB or a TFTP server, I use the Solarwinds TFTP on my laptop and it works great and the images are interchangeable just make sure the routers/switches, as stated above have the memory or they will be bogged down..

Everyone has their purpose for IP base vs Advanced IP Services, here is a difference between the two:

IP Base: provides Layer 2+ and basic Layer 3 features (enterprise-class intelligent services). These features include access ACLs, QoS, static routing, EIGRP stub routing, PIM stub routing, the Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), Routing Information Protocol (RIP), and basic IPv6 management.

Advanced IP Services: provides a richer set of enterprise-class intelligent services and full IPv6 support. It includes all IP base features plus full Layer 3 routing (IP unicast routing, IP multicast routing, and fallback bridging). The IP services feature set includes protocols such as the Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP) and the Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) Protocol. This feature set also supports all IP service features with IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACLs and Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping.

I personally just use Advanced IP services cause I have no idea what Cisco will test me on in an exam and it's better off this way.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will definitely agree, IP base on a router doesn't support enough for studying. I do however use ipbase on my console server and routers that are simulating PCs.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options

As I noted above, Layer 2 switch IOSes and IP Base Layer 3 switch IOSes can be downloaded with only a regular account. You just need to register at cisco.com, no SmartNet required. There are a few IOSes if you dig through the "All Releases" section that aren't locked behind SmartNet (either by mistake or for some other reason). IOSes that require SmartNet will have a piece of paper with a lock over it icon. If there is just a lock (no paper), it only requires a regular account.

I do appear to have set up an account on Cisco but never noticed or understood the lock or paper+lock so that was really helpful (as is everything that everyone has said so thanks to all for your responses).

I've been on to look and it seems I cannot download anything for my 1841 without SmartNet so the only way I'm going to get this to a newer or better IOS is if someone already has a copy downloaded and lets me have a copy. Not (yet) familiar with the licensing of 15 and what I would or wouldn't be able to do with an unlicensed IOS so am happy to be sticking with 12.x for now.

For the 2811 routers it looks like I've seen a link to the unlocked version (15.0.1M9) before as I already have AdvancedEnterprise and AdvancedIPServices downloaded. Sadly there's no 12.4/12.4T version newer than I already have that can be downloaded without SmartNet but at least I already have AdvancedEnterprise which I can load onto the other unit.

For the 2960 switch the only option is LANBase so I've downloaded the latest (122-58.SE2) and the recommended (122-55.SE10) versions.

For the 3560 switches there are IPBase and IPServices but the latter requires SmartNet so again I have just downloaded IPBase 122-55.SE10 as this is both the latest and recommended version unless someone can give me a copy of IPServices.

For the future I have my eyes on a 2851 router running (C2800NM-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 15.1(1)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) but again I don't know if this version is any good to me or the status of its license. And I'll probably look for another switch of some description, one with more/better features than those I have and with a newer IOS.
  • Options
    For the future I have my eyes on a 2851 router running (C2800NM-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 15.1(1)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) but again I don't know if this version is any good to me or the status of its license.

The 1800/2800 Series and earlier use a different IOS for each package (IP Base, IP Voice, SP Services, Advanced Security, Advanced IP Services, and Advanced Enterprise). While you are technically "supposed to" pay Cisco a license fee for the IOS, there is nothing in the IOS that will check to see if you have or not.

On the 1900/2900 series routers and 3560E switches, Cisco started using the Universal IOS. These contain all features, but run as IP Base by default. Any additional features require a license (For routers, these are datak9, securityk9, and/or uck9) key to enable them. Though, there is still nothing as far as I can tell preventing you from buying a router with the licenses already installed. The issue (for 1900/2900 series) is if you buy one without the licenses as the licenses (from Cisco) cost more than the router (eBay).

If I remember correctly, the 2851 uses the same IOS as the 2811. So, you should be able to copy that IOS to your 2811s.
  • Options
    For the 3560 switches there are IPBase and IPServices but the latter requires SmartNet so again I have just downloaded IPBase 122-55.SE10 as this is both the latest and recommended version unless someone can give me a copy of IPServices.

If those 3560s are TS Models* (WS-C3560-24TS, WS-C3560-48TS), see if Cisco will let you download this one:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282526410&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SE2

*While, 12.2(55)SE10 is officially the latest release for the 3560, the 3560V2 is basically the same switch with EnergyWise (it uses a couple Watts less power) and uniform depth. They even use the same IOS. You can use an IOS listed for the 3560V2 as long as the 3560 has enough Flash. The 24TS and 48TS meet this requirement. The 24PS and 48PS (PoE Models) do NOT.

If not, try:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=278546113&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE6
  • Options
    If those 3560s are TS Models* (WS-C3560-24TS, WS-C3560-48TS), see if Cisco will let you download this one:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282526410&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SE2

*While, 12.2(55)SE10 is officially the latest release for the 3560, the 3560V2 is basically the same switch with EnergyWise (it uses a couple Watts less power) and uniform depth. They even use the same IOS. You can use an IOS listed for the 3560V2 as long as the 3560 has enough Flash. The 24TS and 48TS meet this requirement. The 24PS and 48PS (PoE Models) do NOT.

If not, try:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=278546113&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE6

Oh I missed that, up to SE6 I could get IPServices without SmartNet, but after only IPBase so I've added the version linked to my downloads.

Yes sadly my switches are WS-C3560-24PS-S.