Options

Can I take the CCNA security exam without studying for the CCNA test

harryg702harryg702 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I know this is a stupid question but there was a good course on sale at udemy for the CCNA security exam. I got cause its going to be updated with the new material when the test changes but my question is can I study for this exam and pass this test without studying for the CCNA base test??

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You need to do ICDN1 to get CCENT in order to get the CCNA Security. However, you can sit the exams in whatever order you like. No specific training is required.

More details here

The Udemy training looks ok, you might want to supplement with a book or something else. If the training is for the 640-554 exam, then you would need to get cracking to do the exam before the 30 November deadline.

It's worth mentioning that some people believe that the 640-554 exam became harder when they announced the new 210-260 exam, and say that the 640-554 includes topics from the new exam. I don't know what the truth is.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would do CCNA:R&S first...the security exam assumes a certain level of knowledge.
  • Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read on the Cisco website that CCENT is a prereq for the CCNA Security, but just to be safe, it would seem logical to get the CCNA too and then have some crossover knowledge that can apply to the CCNA Security certification.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I read on the Cisco website that CCENT is a prereq for the CCNA Security, but just to be safe, it would seem logical to get the CCNA too and then have some crossover knowledge that can apply to the CCNA Security certification.

CCENT is a prerequisite to gain the certification, but not a prerequisite to sit the exam.

It depends on your individual previous experience where you might start. If you have lots of experience and think you could comfortably pass ICDN1 without much study, and also have fairly good and current exposure to CCNA Security topics, then maybe it might make sense to do them out of order.

There are things in ICDN1 that aren't necessary to know to pass the CCNA Security exam. And a fair bit more in the ICDN2 exam that you don't need to know for CCNA Security.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I'm studying for the CCNA: Security right now. You can take it with just the CCENT, but I think you would do yourself an injustice.

(The only exception is if you have Security+). Still, from my studies, there are things like STP that are covered that your CCENT book won't get to.

Just food for thought, and to pass you have to get 895/1000.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • Options
    TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get CCNA first. its not that hard. It's basically subnetting, EIGRP, OSPF, and troubleshooting. Frame Relay is still in the course but its not that much around anymore.