Options

Will Security+ Open doors?

yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently passed Security+ and someone told me...that doors to IT Security position will not open til' CISSP. What do you guys think?
Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All by itself? No, doubtful
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CISSP requires 5 years of experience. So you do need some experience. Otherwise you are an Associate of ISC2 for the CISSP.

Will the Sec+ open doors. Yes. It may get you into some junior jobs but the market is very competitive.
    Since you are in VA, you may want to go for it and possibly get an entry level job with the government.
    The Sec+ may also get you to some knowledge that would assist you in obtaining the CISSP.

Regards
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the location. Some areas require S+ for even help desk jobs. Most other areas I'd say it's not going to really open doors, but it's a good cert to have and much much better than nothing at all.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah that's about right. CISSP is on the radar of a lot of job listings. If you have a CISSP you're like gold to them, half of the employers don't know what a CISSP is, but they hear it through the grapevine and jump on the bandwagon, know what I mean? Go for your CISSP and CISM, those are the top two most wanted in job listings. With that being said, you are on the right path obtaining your Security+, you just have to keep working up that ladder.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Currently..CCNA, Security+, A+
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    All by itself? No, doubtful
  • Options
    That is exactly the path I like to walk....get my foot in the door w/ a Junior position and do my time building experiences toward CISSP. I can't get CISSP w/out my time in. I currently have CCNA, Sec+, A+.......January, I will be getting CCNA-Security.
    bigdogz wrote: »
    The CISSP requires 5 years of experience. So you do need some experience. Otherwise you are an Associate of ISC2 for the CISSP.

Will the Sec+ open doors. Yes. It may get you into some junior jobs but the market is very competitive.
    Since you are in VA, you may want to go for it and possibly get an entry level job with the government.
    The Sec+ may also get you to some knowledge that would assist you in obtaining the CISSP.

Regards
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    yellowpad wrote: »
    That is exactly the path I like to walk....get my foot in the door w/ a Junior position and do my time building experiences toward CISSP. I can't get CISSP w/out my time in. I currently have CCNA, Sec+, A+.......January, I will be getting CCNA-Security.

Well, the other bit of good news is that having another security cert (or a BS) will reduce the number of years of experience for CISSP from 5 to 4.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    You are correct..and very true. But I need to get my foot in the door first. :)
    I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys that is currently in the front line in Info Sec related role.
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    CISSP from 5 to 4.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having Security+ and Linux+ is a good entry-level combo to show HR the path you're going after. As for opening doors, CISSP is the defacto HR keyword but joining security orgs like ISSA, ISACA, OWASP can help you network.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sec+/CEH is useful to for passing HR interviews. I would suggest you to look into trying out the CEH -> GCIH path. Since CEH and GCIH had some overlapping content, hence making GCIH easier to obtain than the rest of the GIAC certs. GIAC certs are powerful for those with less than 4 years of experience.

Since I had repeated these points so many times, I had posted it on my website; it is easier for me to share these links for reference.

Career Certification Path ~ GravitySec[dot]com
    Self Study for GIAC ~ GravitySec[dot]com
    Challenge the GIAC Exam ~ GravitySec[dot]com
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if your in richmond/springfield area, it gets you 8570 compliant which is needed for a lot of government contracts in the area, after that its going to depend on what you know and what you are applying for/what you want to delve into first
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yellowpad wrote: »
    I recently passed Security+ and someone told me...that doors to IT Security position will not open til' CISSP. What do you guys think?

Experience is what matters most. I once worked with a team of 25 Security folks only 2 had CISSP. Security + will help your case its better than nothing.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Security+ is gold in the DoD. If you are trying to get a DoD contract/federal job then Security+ is mandatory (or a higher cert). Plus, the knowledge gained from it cant hurt you and will help you with your goal for the CISSP down the road.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon